Two Florida juniors turning pro
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Two more Flordia players are entering the NFL draft.
Gators coach Jim McElwain announced Monday that wide receiver Demarcus Robinson and running Kelvin Taylor are turning pro.
McElwain said they will play in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1.
“They’re doing a great job. They’ve been working out. They’re excited,” McElwain said of Robinson and Taylor. “I think these guys have a pretty good feeling of they’ve got one more opportunity to be proud of what they put on film, to show their worth.
“The NFL now is as much obviously about great players as it is character. Here’s your opportunity to play your tail off. It says a lot about who you are and how you are going to be as a teammate moving forward. I’m expecting those guys to play all-out.”
Robinson leads the team in receiving yards (505) this year with two touchdowns, but hasn’t had the production he did as a sophomore (810 yards and seven scores). Robinson was suspended last month for the Florida State game and demoted twice on the depth chart during the season.
It’s been a much more productive year for Taylor, who is 15 yards shy of only the second 1,000-yard season by a UF player since 2004. His 13 rushing touchdowns this season are also the most by a Florida running back since his father, Fred Taylor, scored 13 in 1997.
All-America cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III and defensive end Alex McCalister had already decided to forgo their senior seasons. McCalister was dismissed from the team this month.
“He’s going to go on to the NFL,” McElwain said of McCalister.
Junior safeties Marcus Maye and Keanu Neal have yet to make the call , while linebacker Jarrad Davis and defensive tackle Caleb Brantley both said they’re returning for 2016.