JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Yet again, the Florida defense bailed out a shaky Gators offensive performance while dictating control of the game.
No. 14 Florida took care of business against Georgia on Saturday with a 24-10 win in the teams’ annual rivalry showdown at EverBank Field.
The defense held the Bulldogs (4-4, 2-4 SEC) to 164 yards and 8 first downs as the Gators improved to 6-1, 4-1 despite managing only 231 yards themselves.
Here were the highlights from Gators coach Jim McElwain’s postgame news conference.
WATCH: Jim McElwain discusses UGA win
Posted by Florida Gators Insiders on Saturday, October 29, 2016
- “This is one of those games that really … both teams played their tails off and it’s a lot of fun. To see the guys compete out there. A lot of them know each other, and even after the game to see the handshakes, this is something special.”
- “Obviously it’s great to win. Somebody brought up one game in 28 days and I thought early some freshmen were jumping a little bit, but we handled that.”
- “Defensively, what do you say, other than losing contain, which really hurt us. That quarterback is something special and he’s a guy we’re going to have to contend with for years to come.”
- “You know, disappointed on the sack early. We had a little screen called and it knocked us out of scoring range early in the first half, but overall being able to get a few first downs when they loaded the box at the end I thought that was good for our o-line and our team.”
- “This never gets old, this one. It’s a lot of fun.”
- On Jarrad Davis playing through ankle injury: “I can’t say enough. He practiced Wednesday, not great, got beat up by a tackling dummy on one play. But then was there Thursday and a full walk-throughon Friday. He came back in after warmups and said, ‘Coach, I’m playing.’ That was totally up to him and he’s the heart and soul of this team and for him that meant a lot.”
- “I thought both running backs ran pretty good at times, kept their feet moving, but as I talked to them all week this game was going to be determined by the front on both sides of the ball.”
- “We’ve got to get better. We’ve got some good players. We need to get them ball, get the ball in their hands and let them do their thing.”
- “People pick this team apart, this and that, guys, this is a good football team. The Florida Gators are a good team and I’ll go with these guys against anybody.”
- Can you win with defense carrying you like this: “Sure.”
- On Luke Del Rio: “I thought he did OK. They knew we had a cut split, they robbed the over route and he threw it (on the interception), which wasn’t good. That’s a staple in their defense. but other than that, for the most part, we took care of the football, he managed the game well and did we win? OK, good.”
- On RB Jordan Cronkrite’s absence from the team: “He’s right now trying to figure out if he wants to play or not. Our door is always open for him until he finds his way with what he wants to do.”