Former UGA great Hines Ward interested in joining Kirby Smart’s staff
One of the most versatile offensive players in recent UGA history would like to help Kirby Smart compete for a national title.
Hines Ward, who played multiple positions on offense at UGA before becoming a Super Bowl MVP and Pro Bowl wide receiver with the Pittsburgh Steelers, went on the Paul Finebaum Show on Wednesday and expressed interest in joining Smart’s staff.
“That’s something I would be intrigued with if he gave me a call,” Ward said about returning to UGA as an assistant coach.
“When Kirby Smart’s name came up as a head coach, it’s something you get that itch for. It’s like, ‘Man, how great would that be to be a part of his staff and help my alma mater get to the promised land?'”
Ward has no coaching experience. He’s worked for NBC on the Sunday Night Football broadcast since his retirement from the NFL in 2012. He’s also appeared on Dancing with the Stars and had brief cameos in The Dark Knight Rises and The Walking Dead.
- Smart’s potential coaching staff at Georgia
- Kirby Smart makes sense for Georgia, even if wow factor lacking
- Report: Smart wants to bring Will Muschamp to Georgia
- With Kirby Smart, UGA has a chance to win really big
- UGA’s hiring of Smart will have an impact on No. 1 OLB in 2016
- What do UGA commits think of the hire?
- Elite UGA targets react to Kirby Smart news
- National media reaction to Smart announcement
- Elite CB says Kirby Smart hiring is “the news I’ve been waiting for”
- UGA alumni and celebrities react to Smart news