Mark Richt to meet with Maryland about football job, per multiple reports
It didn’t take long before the name of former UGA coach Mark Richt surfaced at another job.
Maryland has talked to Richt about its opening, according to multiple media sources.
Richt is “expected” in Maryland to interview “on Tuesday,” according to Terrapin Sports Network’s Scott Greene. Richt could meet with Maryland in person on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to InsideMDSports.com’s Jeff Ermann. Meanwhile, Testudo Times’ Alex Kirshner also confirmed that a meeting will take place between Maryland and Richt.
Maryland, which finished 3-9, is searching for a new head coach after firing Randy Edsall midway through the season.
Expect Richt’s name to be mentioned in a lot of openings after he said at his UGA press conference on Monday, that he’ll listen to “anyone who has interest in me in any area or arena.”
There is an interesting connection between the two parties. Maryland’s senior associate athletic director is Damon Evans, who served as athletic director at UGA and worked underneath Vince Dooley at the time Richt was hired.
Other names that have been connected to Maryland include: Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen, Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, Houston Texans’ head coach Bill O’Brien and the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts coach Scott Milanovich.
Reich and Milanovich are former Maryland quarterbacks. Milanovich was at the school with Kevin Plank, a former Terrapins player, CEO of Under Armour and a major Maryland booster.
- Schultz: Richt will get to enjoy some rare quiet time
- Mark Richt wins day in joint presser with Greg McGarity
- Jim Donnan: Kirby Smart would be wise choice for Dogs
- Hiring Richt remains Vince Dooley’s proudest moment
- Mark Richt’s exit causes 4-star to drop UGA as leader
- Full transcript of Mark Richt news conference
- History not favorable regarding McGarity’s hires
- McGarity mum on why he fired Richt