3 things every Kentucky fan needs to know today
It’s the start of a new week, which means the Wildcats have officially been granted a fresh beginning after back-to-back thumpings from Mississippi State and Tennessee. But just because it’s time for the Wildcats to move on, doesn’t mean that Saturday’s performance has been forgotten so quickly.
Here are three things to know:
- A trio of former Kentucky players and two upcoming recruits were active on Twitter Saturday night, in response to the Tennessee game.
- It’s not going to get any easier for the Wildcats, who face UGA this week. One outlet has the Bulldogs as a 17-point favorite.
- Junior quarterback Patrick Towles headlined our weekly SEC quote update with some colorful language after the Wildcats’ loss. Check out the best quotes from your favorite players and coaches here.
Other Kentucky news from around the Internet
- Saturday’s loss certainly raised a set of question marks about the state of coach Mark Stoops’ team. The Lexington Herald-Leader’s Mark Story dove into the Wildcats’ issues.
- The Herald-Leader has the postgame reaction videos of Stoops, offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson, defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot and Towles.
- After he exited the game in the second quarter Saturday night, sophomore running back Stanley “Boom” Williams’ status was still not yet known Sunday, the Louisville Courier-Journal’s Jon Hale wrote.
- Defensive coordinator Eliot mixed things up and called the game from the coaching booth in the press box Saturday night, Hale wrote.
- Commonwealth Stadium’s renovations are almost completely finished now, the Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker reported.
- One more from Hale — for the second week in a row, it was the second quarter that doomed the Wildcats.
- The basketball team will match up with Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart’s alma mater Monday night. Ottawa University will bring 35 players to Lexington, Tucker wrote.
The best stories around the SEC
- Maty Mauk, the Missouri quarterback, has been suspended for the rest of the season.
- He committed to Southern Cal, but now that the Trojans are seeing coaching turnover, 3-star receiver Velus Jones is visiting some SEC schools.
- Alabama-LSU is this weekend, but one national writer is rating the matchup as just the third-best of the remaining college football games.
- LSU, Florida and Alabama are the three SEC schools fighting for 4-star linebacker Dontavious Jackson. Jackson used his iPhone and plenty of emojis to jot down his list of seven schools.
- N’keal Harry was expected to share his top 5 list Monday. But the 4-star wide receiver and Arizona’s No. 1 prospect released the list a day early. Find out which SEC school is on it.