Good morning, Kentucky fans! The football team has a lot on the line this week and the hoops team is No. 1 in the AP Poll.
Here are three things to know:
- When the Wildcats take the field against Louisville on Saturday, they’ll be playing for bowl eligibility and an advantage in in-state recruiting.
- Coach Mark Stoops is not looking to repeat last year’s altercation with the Cardinals.
- No shock here, but with North Carolina losing, the basketball team is officially at the top.
Other Kentucky news from around the Internet
- Redshirt freshman Drew Barker made his first career start Saturday, but because of nasty weather conditions the Wildcats didn’t fully see everything he does, the Lexington Herald-Leader’s Jen Smith wrote.
- Jon Hale of the Louisville Courier-Journal has the full transcript of coach Mark Stoops’ remarks from his press conference Monday.
- Also from Hale, here are the highlights from the press conference.
- The basketball team has been ranked No. 1 before — all of last year — and we all saw what happened then. Kentucky coaches are not reading too much into this new ranking, the Louisville Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker wrote.
- Tyler Ulis’ sophomore campaign is off to a strong start. He’s the SEC’s co-player of the week, Tucker wrote.
- Tucker also has Kentucky assistant coach John Robic’s remarks from Monday.
The best stories around the SEC
- It’s been a crazy day at LSU, so all of today’s best stories are about the Tigers. Earlier Monday, ESPN reported it was possible Les Miles would be fired by the end of the day.
- But when the end of the day rolled around, Miles hadn’t met with anyone and there had been no conversations with him about his job, according to another report.
- Then, Miles met with the press and said he didn’t want to talk about the rumors, but did say he will not retire.
- If his days in Baton Rouge are over, here are five potential places he could land next.
- Miles may not be the only one on his way out. The Tigers’ defensive line coach is interested in the new opening at Syracuse.