5 things every Kentucky fan needs to know today
Where to start, Kentucky fans? There were so many questions heading into Monday, and as such, this week has already gotten off to a wild start. Coach Mark Stoops spent about half an hour answering questions during his weekly press conference about his quarterback, his kickers and the state of the Kentucky program. He even admitted that for the first time all year, it seemed as if Kentucky gave up before the game even started. Then, he hopped on the radio to answer even more questions. Take a few extra minutes during your lunch break — we’ve got lots to catch you up on.
Here are five things to know:
- First things first, the question that’s been on every Kentucky fan’s mind: Who will be the quarterback moving forward? Stoops said this week in practice he’ll change the way he manages reps between Patrick Towles and Drew Barker.
- After not being on the depth chart last week, running back Boom Williams was cleared to practice and should be ready for Saturday against Vanderbilt.
- For all of you fans who are beginning to doubt the program, Stoops understands where you’re coming from. But he’s confident he’ll find a remedy soon.
- On top of the quarterback uncertainty, Stoops said Monday that Kentucky’s kicking game needs to get better, as well.
- Mark your calendars. The SEC announced that Kentucky and Charlotte will have a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff on Nov. 21.
Other Kentucky news from around the Internet
- Monday’s press conference was lengthy, but also very interesting. The Lexington Herald-Leader’s Jen Smith has the full transcript.
- If you want to just hit the highlights, check out the Louisville Courier-Journal’s quick hits from Jon Hale.
- Also from Hale, despite the adversity Kentucky is up against right now, Stoops said the morale in the locker room is still strong.
- Here is the full video of the press conference, from the Louisville Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker.
- De’Aaron Fox, 2016’s top point guard, is expected to announce his college decision Thursday, the Lexington Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts wrote.
- Also from Roberts, UGA beat Kentucky on Saturday and now the Bulldogs are making an offer to the Wildcats’ No. 1 target.
The best stories around the SEC
- Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen opened up about the recent death of his player, Keith Joseph Jr. and Joseph’s father, who both died Friday.
- The Bulldogs will honor their late teammate and his father by wearing decals on their helmet.
- A day after Missouri coach Gary Pinkel backed up his players in their protest against University of Missouri System President Tim Wolfe, Wolfe announced he was resigning Monday.
- Alabama held Heisman candidate Leonard Fournette to 31 yards on the ground Saturday night. Fournette spoke more about that game Monday.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, Alabama running back Derrick Henry lit up Bryant-Denny Stadium and is the new Heisman frontrunner in one poll.