Happy Thursday, Kentucky fans! It’s almost the end of the week and with each passing day, basketball season is getting closer. Lexington is about to start buzzing again, so let’s catch up on all your Kentucky news.
Here are five things to know:
- It’s been a tough few weeks for you Kentucky fans because of the football team’s struggles, so let’s start with some good news. As expected, coach John Calipari has locked down 5-star forward Wenyen Gabriel.
- It’s still a work in progress, but in Mark Stoops’ eyes, the football team’s pass rush is getting a little bit better.
- Stoops also said Wednesday that he has been doing some research to see if he should make adjustments to how he runs practice.
- It was only Tuesday that the football team’s only 2018 commit, Jermaine Eskridge, de-committed. A day later, Eskridge announced his top 10 teams.
- Stoops said Saturday that he would take a look at how he handles the quarterback position moving forward, so Vanderbilt is preparing as if he’ll use both Patrick Towles and Drew Barker.
Other Kentucky news from around the Internet
- Stoops assumed his weekly duties on the SEC teleconference Wednesday afternoon. The Lexington Herald-Leader’s Jen Smith has the full transcript.
- Kentucky’s wide receivers have struggled lately, the Louisville Courier-Journal’s Jon Hale wrote. No one put it better than Dorian Baker.
- Hale also has defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot on video after practice Wednesday.
- Finally from Hale, a Wednesday practice report.
- The Louisville Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker took a look at some current Kentucky stars, particularly Tyler Ulis, and how they might fare in the NBA.
- Also from Tucker, get to know Gabriel a little better.
- In women’s basketball news, a recruit will miss her entire junior season due to a tumor in her leg.
The best stories around the SEC
- LSU snapped its undefeated streak with a loss to Alabama over the weekend. Now Arkansas is hoping to be the next in line to deliver the Tigers a loss.
- With everything that has gone on at Missouri these last few days, several SEC coaches have been asked to share their take on the situation. Nick Saban took a few minutes to reflect on what went on at Kent State when he was a player there with Missouri’s coach, Gary Pinkel.
- Marcus Paige, North Carolina’s point guard, was also asked his thoughts on the matter. Paige gave a thoughtful answer about how student athletes can affect change.
- He was thrust into an immediate and unexpected role, but Shawn Elliott has done a nice job with South Carolina’s program so far.
- Dak Prescott has turned heads all season. Now an NFC scout is saying he’d prefer Prescott over Ohio State’s Cardale Jones, even though Jones has a championship.