6 things every Kentucky fan needs to know today
It’s crunch time, Kentucky fans. There is no more wiggle room. To become bowl eligible, the Wildcats have to win both of their remaining games against Charlotte and Louisville. A 21-17 loss at the hands of Vanderbilt handed them their fifth straight loss Saturday and put the program in do-or-die mode in terms of making a bowl. Let’s dive in.
Here are six things to know:
- Saturday was a day full of missed opportunities for the Wildcats, who twice had the ball inside the 5-yard line and couldn’t score either time.
- The quarterback uncertainty continues. Both junior Patrick Towles and redshirt freshman Drew Barker played Saturday. They played well at times but also made crucial mistakes.
- Cheer up with some basketball news. Five-star recruit Sacha Killeya-Jones has officially signed with the Wildcats.
- The Wildcats won their season opener against Albany on Friday night, prompting the Albany coach to deliver some high praise for a trio of Wildcats.
- A win’s a win, but coach John Calipari still saw some things he didn’t like.
- Saturday night’s victory against New Jersey Institute of Technology featured a dominant performance from freshman forward Skal Labissiere.
Other Kentucky news from around the Internet
- Derek Willis won the award for most entertaining quote of the night Friday, when he scored a career-high 14 points against Albany and then later made a reference to cats, the Courier-Journal’s Jon Hale wrote.
- After the terrible tragedy in Paris on Friday night, Calipari needed a moment before the game started to collect himself. The Courier-Journal has video of an emotional Calipari sharing his thoughts.
- Kentucky’s front court is still a work in progress, which has coach Calipari begging them to be more gritty, the Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker wrote.
- But while Calipari had his concerns with his big men, freshman guard Jamal Murray made his mark, Tucker wrote.
- Finally from Tucker, some quick hits from the Wildcat’s overall performance against Albany, as well as some analysis from a much cleaner win over New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- In football news, Hale has coach Mark Stoops’ full transcript from the press conference after Saturday’s loss. Stoops is preparing himself for the criticism he knows is coming. Hale also wrote there seems to be a little bit of tension between the offense and defense.
The best stories around the SEC
- Nick Saban thinks Alabama running back Derrick Henry is even faster than he appears.
- With so much coaching turnover this season, several programs are keeping their eye on Saban’s assistants. A report disputes another report that said offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin interviewed with Maryland.
- Some LSU fans took offense to an Arkansas offensive lineman dancing on the LSU field logo. Police intervened.
- Another crazy ending in the college football world, this time between UGA and Auburn.
- Mississippi State was going for the upset over Alabama, but its red-zone performance didn’t do the Bulldogs any favors.