LEXINGTON, Ky. — It’s regroup week for Kentucky. The Wildcats host Tennessee at 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday at Kroger Field.
The Cats are coming off a 45-7 loss at Mississippi State on Saturday. Here’s what Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said at his Monday press conference.
Refresh this page for live updates.
- “Didn’t play very good in any aspect of the game. Need to get things corrected
- Mark Stoops on controlling what players said on social media after the game: “We’ll get it corrected, very easy fix.”
- Landon Young is better today than he was yesterday, Mark Stoops said. “He definitely took a very awkward hit. It could’ve been a lot worse. He’s day to day.”
- “With the benefit of hindsight we could’ve all been better. There’s very few teams in this country that could’ve played very good football 12 weeks in a row.”
- “We know what Tennessee can do. I expect Tennessee to come in and play exceptionally hard.”
- Stoops said he’s felt the pressure that Tennessee feels now.
- “We’re not making enough competitive plays. That’s not OK. In the secondary we’re not making competitive plays.”
- On corners: “We need to do a better job of coaching them. They’ll respond. We’ve got to get back and start making some plays.”
- Stoops said he didn’t do a good enough job preparing his players after the bye week. “That’s ultimately on me. I’ve got to get them ready to play.”
- On Mississippi State game: “We’ll put it behind us. I can’t wait, honestly.”
- “C.J. (Conrad) needs to play better. Benny, the carries were low. We have to be able to run the ball. We have to have balance.”
- “We’re just not built to drop back and throw the ball all over the yard.”
- Stoops: “Eighty percent of SEC football games are won when you outrush your opponent.”
- On Jordan Jones: “A little rusty, but he was active.”
- Stoops was asked about Blake Bone’s snapchat post saying UK would be unstoppable if they threw the ball more. “Nice try,” Stoops said to the question.
- “There’s no reason for them to panic or call a team meeting on a Sunday,” Stoops said. “Everybody knows what to do.”
- Stoops said he prepared more for today’s meeting with the team than he usually does.
- Nose guard Naquez Pringle has been banged up.
- “I felt like we did take a dip in football IQ this past week.”
- Stoops talked about the “coaching fraternity,” but didn’t want to go into what Butch Jones is facing at Tennessee right now.