LEXINGTON, Ky. — It’s Christmas so we thought we’d take a look under Kentucky coach Mark Stoops’ imaginary recruiting tree to find the best present.
The Wildcats landed a handful of high-profile commitments in the last two weeks, but there are still a few slots left in the 2017 class.
So, which prospect commitment would be the best Christmas present for Stoops and his staff?
4-star ATH Lynn Bowden
Bowden, a Youngstown, Ohio native like Stoops, could be the gem of Kentucky’s 2017 class. His commitment would be a much-appreciated Christmas present for the Kentucky faithful. The consensus 4-star recruit would become the Wildcats’ top-ranked commitment according to 247Sports.
Wide receiver JaVonte Richardson is Kentucky’s highest-ranked commitment at No. 229 nationally. Bowden is ranked No. 160 and is the fifth-best Ohio prospect — a state Vince Marrow and the Cats have recruited well.
Bowden’s potential commitment is more of an expectation than a last-ditch Christmas wish. The crystal ball prediction from 247Sports has Kentucky at a 79 percent chance to land Bowden followed by Michigan State at 16 percent and Penn State at 5 percent.
Bowden was originally committed to Indiana but backed out on April 30 due to “unforeseen circumstances.”
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound prospect projects to play slot receiver, running back or defensive back in college. He put up prolific numbers as a quarterback at Warren G. Harding High School.
Bowden took an official visit to Kentucky on Dec. 2. Marrow and the staff will do its best to keep Bowden leaning toward Kentucky, and if he commits, it’ll be a Christmas-like celebration for UK’s 25th ranked 2017 class.
Class breakdown (21 commits)