LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky’s 2017 class is up to 23 commitments after highly-touted 4-star ATH Lynn Bowden picked the Cats on Saturday, but a few top targets remain for Mark Stoops and his staff as National Signing Day draws near.
Here’s a look at three Kentucky is zeroed in on.
Danny Davis, 4-star WR (Springfield, OH)
The top-3 ranked prospects in Kentucky’s 2017 class could all be receivers if Davis picks the Wildcats. Bowden, listed as an athlete, projects to play in the slot with JaVonte Richardson, the No. 2 prospect in the class, a 6-foot-4 target on the outside. Three-star wide receiver prospects Clevan Thomas (Hollywood, Fla.) and Isaiah Epps (Jenks, Okla.) are also part of the incoming class.
Davis, like Bowden, would be another huge Ohio pickup for tight ends coach Vince Marrow. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound receiver prospect is the No. 11 Ohio prospect and ranked 33rd nationally at receiver.
The Wildcats will have a number of pass-catching options, but the surprise transfer of leading receiver Jeff Badet has at least opened another spot. 247Sports gives Kentucky a 75 percent chance to land Davis. Michigan State and Ohio State are next in line.
Thayer Munford, 4-star OT (Massillon, OH)
Whereas Davis seems likely to end up in Lexington, the same can’t be said for Munford. But that doesn’t mean Marrow is even close to giving up on the 6-foot-5, 320-pound offensive tackle.
Munford would be added to the long list of Ohio prospects heading to Kentucky, but Ohio State is an obstacle. The Buckeyes haven’t offered Munford a scholarship, but coach Urban Meyer recently went to one of Munford’s basketball games and the interest is there.
The 4-star prospect is likely headed to Ohio State if Meyer offers. Kentucky looks to be in the lead if not. 247Sports has Ohio State at a 54 percent chance to land Munford followed by Kentucky at 31 percent and Pittsburgh at 15 percent.
Jonathan Ford, 3-star DT (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Fellow Florida prospect Kevaughn Dingle, a 3-star WR prospect, seems the more likely add to Kentucky’s 2017 class, but Ford’s commitment, albeit it a long shot, would be sweeter for Stoops and his staff.
Ford has been committed to Miami for almost a year. That’s the disadvantage Kentucky has. On the flip side, the versatile defensive lineman is set for an official visit to Kentucky on Friday. Another factor in the race for Ford? High school teammate Jordan Wright (3-star DE) is committed to the Cats and could be playing the role of recruiter instead of recruit.
Kentucky needs more depth in its defensive front, and Ford would be a best-case addition to the class.