LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky is in the middle of preparing for Austin Peay and defensive players and coaches were available to talk after Wednesday evening’s practice.
Kickoff against the Governors is set for 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday at Commonwealth Stadium. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network. Here’s what you need to know from the latest round of interviews.
What we learned
- Kentucky’s defensive senior class is highlighted by defensive backs J.D. Harmon, Blake McClain and Marcus McWilson and lineman Courtney Miggins. Defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot talked about all four of them after Wednesday night’s practice: “I tell you what, I think Courtney Miggins, he leads by example and what a guy that’s grown from last year to this year, a guy that played maybe 20 snaps a game and now he’s 60-plus snaps a game,” Eliot said. “He had a great offseason, he’s had a great attitude, works extremely hard. J.D. has been unselfish at times. Marcus McWilson has been unselfish. Blake McClain, all those guys, we’ve needed the last four years and they’ve continued to play hard and done what they can to help the team win.”
- The game Saturday against Austin Peay is officially Senior Day, but McClain said he’s not treating it as such: “To be honest, I wanna go bowling,” McClain said. “That bowl game is senior night for me.”
- And while it might not be too emotional for McClain, he couldn’t say the same for his fellow seniors. “J.D.’s definitely going to cry,” McClain said. “Marcus McWilson is going to cry. Why those two? “They’re just kind of emotional,” he said with a smile.
- Harmon pointed to the closeness of his class: “With athletics you don’t really have friends, these guys are my brothers… It’s amazing you can build that connection in such a short time,” Harmon said. “These are some of the closest people I’ve been around.”
- On the flip side from the seniors, Eliot pointed to a number of young players who have been getting more snaps in practice. Defensive end T.J. Carter, linebacker Jordan Bonner and defensive back Jordan Griffin were the three players Eliot singled out.
- Sophomore safety Darius West has missed the whole season with a knee injury, but Eliot said he hopes to have West back in time for spring football.
Watch: D.J. Eliot interview
Watch: Blake McClain interview
Quote of the day
“I thought yesterday I was just a freshman coming in, trying to earn a spot. Now I’m here and it’s the last Senior Night. It’s going by fast.” — Blake McClain
Other news you need to know
- Mark Stoops says Kentucky is trying to “peak at the right time.”
- Kentucky misses out on hometown offensive line target.
- Five questions for Kentucky for the Austin Peay game.
- Mark Stoops discusses next year’s quarterback competition.
- Two juniors will be among Kentucky’s 14 Senior Day honorees.
- Mark Stoops updates the status of linebacker Jordan Jones and receiver Jeff Badet.