LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky is in the middle of preparing for Tennessee and defensive players and coaches were available to talk after Tuesday evening’s practice.
Kickoff against the Volunteers is set for noon ET Saturday at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn., and the game will be broadcast on SEC Network. Here’s what you need to know from the latest round of interviews.
What we learned
- Tennessee quarterback Josh Dobbs has thrown more interceptions (11) than any other quarterback in the SEC. Cornerback J.D. Harmon said he’s aware of Dobbs’ turnover tendencies, but he’s not relying on them for a big play: “It’s just one of those things that you just have to know — tight coverages, he may throw a bad ball,” Harmon said. “But, you can’t just bank on that.”
- Fellow corner Derrick Baity didn’t want to get into Dobbs’ numbers: “I don’t really know that he’s thrown interceptions or anything,” Baity said. “I’m thinking like, ‘Just get this ‘W.’”
- Defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot wouldn’t say what changes the Wildcats might be making in the secondary to lure Dobbs into interceptions. He talked more about what Dobbs can do as a dual-threat: “He’s very elusive with his feet,” Eliot said. “He makes a lot of plays. You know, he hasn’t run the ball a lot, but yet he’s their leading rusher.”
- Coach Mark Stoops talked of miscommunication issues last Saturday against Georgia. Eliot was asked about the problem and what caused it: You know, I don’t know how to explain it, but there was a lapse and we addressed it and harped on it all week that under pressure situations you can’t crack, and that you have to continue to apply your techniques and fall back on your training and make sure you’re alert and urgent at all times,” Eliot said. “Hopefully our kids will learn from it and it won’t happen again.”
Watch: D.J. Eliot interview
Other news you need to know
- Mark Stoops on facing Tennessee: “We’ve got our hands full.”
- Top recruiting target Jedrick Wills on what he thought of his last visit to Kentucky.
- Former starting quarterback Drew Barker doesn’t sound any closer to returning.
- Kentucky hasn’t topped Tennessee in Knoxville since 1984: 5 keys for the Cats on Saturday.
- What did Mark Stoops say at his Monday press conference?