LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky softball advanced to the regional finals after a 1-0 win against Illinois on Saturday. It was the second shutout of the weekend for the Wildcats, and now they’ll face Illinois yet again for the regional crown and chance to advance to the super regional round.
Illinois followed its loss to Kentucky with a win against Marshall in an elimination game. Illinois will need to beat Kentucky twice on Sunday to advance to the super regionals, while Kentucky needs just one win.
What’s next for Kentucky?
The Wildcats face Illinois at noon ET on Sunday at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Ky.
Kentucky softball, Lexington Regional field
- No. 1 regional seed Kentucky
- No. 2 regional seed Illinois
- No. 3 regional seed Marshall
- No. 4 regional seed DePaul
Kentucky softball, Lexington Regional format
The four-team regional round of the NCAA Tournament uses a double-elimination format, meaning a team will be eliminated after losing two games.
Kentucky softball, Lexington Regional game times
(All times ET)
Noon ET Game 1: Illinois 3, Marshall 2 (12 innings) | Box score
2.30 p.m. ET Game 2: Kentucky 6, DePaul 0 | Box score
Game 3: Illinois vs. Kentucky, noon (TV TBD)
Game 4: Marshall vs. DePaul (Elimination game), 2:30 p.m. (TV TBD)
Game 5: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 winner (Elimination game), 5 p.m. (TV TBD)
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 5 winner, noon (TV TBD)
Game 7 (if necessary): Game 6 winner vs. Game 6 loser, 2:30 p.m. (TV TBD)
Kentucky softball, Lexington regional live updates, scores
How to watch Kentucky softball
Kentucky’s first game on Friday can be streamed on WatchESPN. Television broadcasts for the NCAA softball regionals are announced on a daily basis depending on how the prior games finished. Meanwhile, all games will be live streamed online onWatchESPN.
Kentucky softball stats and numbers
• Kentucky is the 14th overall seed in the 2017 NCAA softball postseason.
• The last time Kentucky had this high a seed, they advanced to the Women’s College World Series in 2014. Kentucky won its first game that year, but lost its next two as the Wildcats were eliminated.
• Kentucky was one of 13 SEC teams to make the 2017 NCAA softball postseason. Every SEC school other than Vanderbilt has a softball team. It’s the first time since 2007 that a conference sent all its softball teams to the postseason, and just the second time in history.
• It’s the ninth consecutive postseason appearance for the Wildcats. Kentucky’s first softball postseason appearance came in 2009, beginning this streak.
• Kentucky went 36-17 this season but lost 3 of its final 5 games.