Kentucky basketball will play at Texas A&M on Saturday, February 10, 2018. Find game time, TV channel and how to watch online below.
Over the last seven games, featuring four losses and an overtime escape, Kentucky has shot just 45 percent from the field and 25.9 percent (28 of 108) from 3-point range. Coach John Calipari is trying to fix that without getting into his players’ heads.
“You keep working on it, you get them to focus, you do numbers so that they can see improvement. But you don’t — whether it be foul shooting or shooting, if you make a big deal out of it, it gets worse,” he said. And besides: “This should be a good-shooting team, but we’re so long and active it doesn’t have to be a great-shooting team. There are teams out there that really have got to make 12, 13, 14 threes. We’re not one of them.”
The proof of that is in the fact that the Wildcats have been in every game this season despite poor shooting, using their length — 8 of 9 scholarship players have 7-foot wingspans (or longer) — to hound teams defensively and get buckets in the paint. But their next opponent neutralizes that advantage.
Texas A&M’s starting frontcourt features 6-9 D.J. Hogg, 6-10 Robert Williams and 6-10 Tyler Davis, who combined for 42 points and 17 rebounds in the first meeting with Kentucky, plus 6-10 sixth man Tony Trocha-Morelos. The Aggies had just gotten back several players from injury and suspension in that Jan. 9 game at Rupp Arena, and the Cats narrowly escaped with a 74-73 win.
“Now that they’re healthy, they’re winning games,” Calipari said. “They were a top-5 team to start the year and now they can go on a run of games and all of a sudden you turn around and they’re back to being a top-10 team. This will be a hard game.”
The Aggies opened the season with a rout of West Virginia and other impressive non-conference wins over Oklahoma State, Penn State and at Southern California. They were 11-1 before those injuries and suspensions mounted and the lost their first five SEC games.
Now A&M has reeled off wins in 5 of 6 league contests and can get to .500 in league play with a win over Kentucky, which is trying to avoid its first three-game losing streak in nine seasons under Calipari. A win Wednesday at first-place Auburn was the Aggies’ sixth against an RPI top-50 team.
Kentucky-Texas A&M game time, details
- Time: 8:15 p.m. ET
- Date: Saturday, February 10, 2018
- Location: Reed Arena (12,989), College Station, Texas
- Records: No. 24 Kentucky 17-7, 6-5 SEC; Texas A&M 16-8, 5-6 SEC
- Favorite: Texas A&M by 5
What TV channel is Kentucky-Texas A&M on?
You can watch Kentucky vs. Texas A&M on ESPN. Dave Flemming, Dan Dakich and Kris Budden will be on the call.
How can I watch Kentucky-Texas A&M online?
Stream Kentucky vs. Texas A&M on ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN app.
How can I listen to Kentucky-Texas A&M on the radio?
Kentucky and Texas A&M will be broadcast on the UK Sports Network. That’s 630-AM on Lexington radio and can be streamed at iHeart Radio. You can also listen on XM channel 191 and Sirius channel 138.
Kentucky-Texas A&M preview
- Worried about these Wildcats? Consider how things are going for the rest of the nation’s top programs. Of the last 15 NCAA champions, only Villanova is having a (mostly) dominant season, and even those Wildcats just lost to sub-.500 St. John’s. The others: Duke and Kansas each have five losses, North Carolina has seven, Florida, Syracuse and Louisville have eight apiece and Connecticut has a dozen. “It seems like every team in the country is struggling,” Calipari said, “and the veteran teams are the ones who are doing well. We’re all probably trying to do the same thing: How are we going to get this? Cross the t’s, dot the i’s, connect everything.”
- The last three games, UK has 23 assists and 36 turnovers. The last time the Wildcats had more turnovers than assists in a game was Dec. 31 against Georgia, a dozen games ago. “People say we have a problem passing the ball, so we’ve been really working on that the last couple of days,” freshman star Kevin Knox said, “making sure we get each other touches, making sure our point guards are passing the ball. I’m passing the ball, everybody is passing the ball. Getting shots we all like, that’s something that we’re really working on as a team; I think that’s something that could really help us.”
- After consecutive losses to Missouri and Tennessee, Kentucky has multiple two-game losing streaks in the same season for just the second time under Calipari. The last time it happened was the 2013 NIT season. On the bright side, several players (and the coach) stood up and took some responsibility after blowing a late lead and big opportunity against the 15th-ranked Volunteers on Tuesday.
- UK and the city of Lexington have agreed to a new lease that’ll keep the Cats playing home games in historic Rupp Arena through 2033.