LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky basketball delivered its most encouraging performance of the season, Nick Richards went bonkers and John Calipari just wanted to talk about the spirit of Thanksgiving after an 86-67 win over Fort Wayne on Wednesday night.
Host Curtis Burch and beat writer Kyle Tucker hung around into the wee hours at Rupp Arena to record a fresh episode of Wildcat Country, your daily Kentucky podcast presented by SEC Country. While you wait for the turkey to cook, here’s what we’re talking about:
- What the heck got into freshman 7-footer Nick Richards? His 25 points and 15 rebounds — the first such game by a UK player since Terrence Jones in 2010 — seemingly came out of nowhere. But one famous sports psychologist might’ve seen it coming.
- Answering several fan questions in real time as we simulcast via Facebook Live video. You asked, we answered, talking leadership, Jarred Vanderbilt and whether the Wildcats have a true point guard this season. (Yes, they do.)
- What’s going on with PJ Washington? And are his minutes in danger when Vanderbilt returns?
- Ranking the non-meat Thanksgiving foods. Curtis and Kyle give their top three dishes. SPOILER: Curtis has freaking bread in his top three, which is ridiculous and should be mocked. And sorry, my mom’s dressing is better than yours.
- Camp Cal is coming, and that’s when we’ll really see this team take off. Kentucky just finished six games in 13 days to open the season. There’s not much instruction time in that kind of schedule, and that’s kind of a problem when you start five freshmen who are seeing everything for the first time.
- Calipari’s long speech about being grateful for good fortune and giving to those in need, imploring Kentucky fans to invite a person who is alone into their homes for Thanksgiving, struck a very nice tone on the eve of the holiday.
Don’t miss any of our Cats coverage. Follow podcast host @CurtisBurch as well as @KyleTucker_SEC for hoops and football columns, @Joe_Mussatto for football team coverage, recruiting notes and UK-in-the-NBA rundowns.