LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky basketball picked up its best win of the season Saturday, surviving a shootout with high-scoring Virginia Tech at rocking Rupp Arena (or at least rocking relative to all the near-dead crowds so far this season). Host Curtis Burch and beat writer Kyle Tucker broke down the game on the latest episode of Wildcat Country, your daily Kentucky podcast presented by SEC Country.
- Hamidou Diallo is on a heater, man. Four straight games with 19-plus points and this time he buried 4 of 7 3-pointers — remember when the knock on Diallo was that he can’t shoot — including the dagger with 50 seconds to go. It’s time to move that guy up on your 2018 NBA mock drafts.
- But we probably should’ve started the podcast with this: freshman point guard Quade Green shot 50 percent from the field, made two 3-pointers and had 17 points, 5 assists and 1 turnover … wearing sunglasses! He kept that gouged right eye protected, looked cool as hell and carved up Virginia Tech’s defense. Take a bow, young man, and keep wearing those shades all season — he said he would, by the way — pretty please.
- Kevin Knox bounced back from the (good for his soul) 1-for-9, 7-turnover game against Monmouth by leading Kentucky in scoring yet again: 21 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists. Green, Diallo and Knox were so good it would be easy to overlook two other significant contributions: PJ Washington had 11 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and Wenyen Gabriel gave UK 7 points and 9 boards off the bench.
- Speaking of Gabriel, why is John Calipari suddenly comparing him to Derek Willis? (HINT: Because, yeah, it kinda fits.)
- Hear some of the postgame interviews, including Green talking about his shades and discussing his favorite music.
Don’t miss any of our Cats coverage. Follow podcast host @CurtisBurch as well as @KyleTucker_SEC for hoops and football columns, @Joe_Mussatto for football team coverage, recruiting notes and UK-in-the-NBA rundowns.