No. 21 Kentucky basketball will play at Vanderbilt on January 13, 2018. Find game time, TV channel and how to watch online below.
As of Friday at noon, starting point guard Quade Green had not practiced this week with the Wildcats because of a back strain, meaning the Wildcats might be playing a second straight game with just seven scholarship players in uniform.
In that case, don’t be surprised to see coach John Calipari use all his timeouts Saturday against the Commodores.
“If we’re down in numbers, I’ll be calling timeous to give guys a rest — not just strategically,” he said. “We may need one just to rest. I’ve done that before. And the other side of this, for this team, is I may call a timeout that in the past I haven’t. In other words, [in the past he’d say], ‘Play through it, figure it out yourself.’ Well, that may not work for this group right now where we are.”
With five freshman starters and a freshman sixth man — and three sophomores behind them — Calipari is having to alter his normal teaching plans.
“We’re doing things here that I’ve not done before,” he said. “I’m experimenting. Even [Thursday] in practice, we tried some new stuff. Probably not the smartest thing to do — just get good at these four or five things — but the problem is we have a bigger picture here. It’s not just to try to play the next game; it’s to try to grow, its trying to get better. It’s trying to be one of those teams at the end of the year.
“And we know we’re not right now. The players know we’re not right now. But it’s not right ow that we’re dealing with. It’s when we get to the end, where are we now?”
Kentucky-Vanderbilt game time, details
- Time: 4 p.m. ET
- Date: Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018
- Location: Memorial Gymnasium (14,316), Nashville, Tenn.
- Records: Kentucky 13-3, 3-1 SEC; Vanderbilt 6-10, 1-3 SEC
- Favorite: Kentucky by 3 1/2
What TV channel is Kentucky-Vanderbilt on?
You can watch Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt on ESPN. Bob Wischusen, Dick Vitale and Allison Williams will be on the call.
How can I watch Kentucky-Vanderbilt online?
Stream Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt on ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN app.
How can I listen to Kentucky-Vanderbilt on the radio?
Kentucky and Vanderbilt will be broadcast on the UK Sports Network. That’s 630-AM on Lexington radio and can be streamed at iHeart Radio. You can also listen on XM channel 191 and Sirius channel 138.
- Freshman forward PJ Washington has shot 63 percent and averaged 15.7 points over the last three games, with four blocks and five steals against just three turnovers. Calipari told him he’s in charge now after the Texas A&M game. “But I’m also having to teach him how he’s got to be on that basketball court all the time to really be the leader he needs to be,” Calipari said. “When you’re in there to jerk around or joke or grab, that brings practice down. Then I don’t need you to lead. All this stuff of ‘leaders are born,’ that’s a bunch of crap.”
- The Commodores are probably quite a bit better than their record indicates, but so far the schedule has been brutal. They played seven RPI top-100 teams in their nonconference gauntlet: No. 3 Virginia, No. 9 Seton Hall, at No. 27 Arizona State, No. 53 Southern California, No. 84 Kansas State and No. 84 Kansas State. Unfortunately for Vanderbilt, it won none of those.
- “It’s always a hard game for us. It’s always a tough game,” Calipari said of facing the Commodores on the road. “They play a wide-open court. They’ll shoot threes, they’re driving the ball. The big kid (Djery Baptiste) is playing well for them, so they have someone next to the goal. It’s a different team because they don’t have a five man shooting threes like they have in the past, which really made things hard. But they’re still a good team and in this building they play well.”
- Calipari is right that 7-foot-1 Luke Kornet, who made 150 3-pointers in four years at Vanderbilt, has finally left the building. But the Commodores still have some key pieces back from last season’s NCAA Tournament team: Jeff Roberson (14.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg), Matthew Fisher-Davis (12.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and Riley LaChance (43 percent 3-pointers).