We have a special guest on the latest episode of Wildcat Country — SEC Country’s daily Kentucky podcast. Reid Forgrave joins host Curtis Burch to discuss his profile of John Calipari that published Wednesday in GQ.
“The Penance of John Calipari” starts and ends in a church. Calipari is often referred to as “the devil” in Forgrave’s story, creating a dichotomy between the church going man and how others perceive him to be anything but holy.
There’s a theme of Calipari being chased, but also being a trendsetter, especially when it comes to the “one-and-done” era. And while at first reluctant, others have followed, Duke specifically.
So give a listen to our conversation with Forgrave, but make sure to read the GQ story first. Among the topics discussed:
- Forgrave tells the best story that didn’t make it into the GQ piece.
- What’s it like to go to church with Calipari?
- Forgrave wrote in the story that it’s easy to believe Calipari will spend the rest of his career at Kentucky. Does he really believe this? And how close was Calipari to taking the Cleveland Cavaliers job?
- What was the reaction to the profile?
- Forgrave shares his thoughts on Kentucky’s NCAA Tournament chances. Do the Wildcats have Final Four potential?