There was plenty to talk about Wednesday on the latest episode of Wildcat Country — SEC Country’s daily Kentucky podcast. First we’ll get into Kentucky’s surprising 87-72 win at Arkansas on Tuesday night, then we’ll discuss stories surrounding baseball coach Nick Mingione and former basketball coach Billy Gillispie.
Host Curtis Burch was joined by Joe Mussatto as Kentucky basketball beat writer Kyle Tucker was covering the game in Fayetteville, Ark.
Among the topics discussed:
- Kevin Knox, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Quade Green, PJ Washington and Jarred Vanderbilt all played big minutes Tuesday night. That’s not the starting lineup, but as Kyle Tucker wrote after the game, it’s the winning lineup.
- Curtis wonders if John Calipari could make a change to the starting lineup. Hamidou Diallo and Nick Richards combined for just one shot attempt in 17 minutes Tuesday.
- Jarred Vanderbilt is still rusty around the rim, but he’s been a game-changer for these Cats.
- Kentucky’s win over Arkansas put an end to the NIT speculation.
- While the basketball game was going on, Joe was at Cliff Hagan Stadium to get Kentucky baseball coach Nick Mingione’s reaction about the Mississippi State coaching situation. His response might cause some amount of worry for Kentucky fans.
- And now for the strangest, but most selfless story of the day. Former Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie needs a kidney transplant, and his likely donor is a woman he’s never met. Read Ericka Downey’s story of selflessness.
Don’t miss any of our Cats coverage. Follow podcast host @CurtisBurch as well as@KyleTucker_SEC for hoops and football columns and @Joe_Mussatto for football team coverage and basketball recruiting notes.