LEXINGTON Ky. — Coach Mark Stoops is back on his weekly call-in show Monday night from 6-7 p.m. He joins men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Tom Leach and the show is broadcast in Lexington on WLAP-630.
Refresh this page for live updates of what he said.
Quotes from Stoops’ opening segment:
- “I think the general public can see it was a tale of two halves.”
- He told the team: “You’re no longer fragile.” Stoops wasn’t afraid to tell the team where they made mistakes.
- “I think there’s some guys who hit a panic button. It’s inexcusable.”
- “We’re capable of so much more and that’s what we have to keep hammering home. We’ve got to get it out of them.”
- On Drew Barker: “I thought he played very well. Very poised, very good decisions. He threw some beautiful deep balls.”
- More on Barker: “He’s going to have a bright future.”
Quotes from call-in portion:
- “Their hearts are in the right place, their minds are in the right place.”
- “We have to learn to win and not flinch in the face of adversity.”
- Stoops asked if most disfunction was player related more or on the coordinators: “You always have to shoulder the responsibility as a coach. I thought we were beyond that, of coming out and really laying an egg.”
- “I know people are tired of it. I know most people are sick of not closing it out.”
- Stoops said they’ll look at Bryan Kirshe at punter this week. He and Grant McKinniss are still tied atop the depth chart.
- Caller on Stoops’ show: “Don’t be afraid to hang 70 on Florida. They’ve done it to us in the past.”
- Caller reminds Mark Stoops it was a bad day for the Stoops brothers as Oklahoma also lost. “My momma was probably home crying,” Mark said.
- Stoops calls blocked punt, “a minor technique issue.”