Welcome to SEC Country’s weekly Kentucky Wildcats basketball podcast, “Everybody’s Superpod,” with Kyle Tucker. Today, we introduce Joe Mussatto, who just wrapped up his first year as SEC Country’s UK football beat writer and Kyle’s tag-team partner on hoops. We’ll break down a season that ended in heartbreak and reasons to be hopeful about 2017-18.
LEXINGTON, Ky. — What will be the lasting memory of Kentucky basketball’s 2016-17 season and its heartbreaking finale against North Carolina in the Elite Eight? Who will return and how much new talent is coming to town next season?
SEC Country’s Kyle Tucker and Joe Mussatto sit down for a conversation to wrap up Year 8 of the John Calipari era and look ahead to Year 9. Topics include:
- Just how stunning was Isaac Humphries’ performance against the Tar Heels? And what might the sophomore 7-footer from Australia do next? Does he stay or go?
- What about all of Kentucky’s other underclassmen with decisions to make? Who bolts for the NBA? Will anyone else consider a transfer?
- Who’s got next? Joe was in Chicago this week for McDonald’s All-American practice and media day, so he offers up some thoughts on UK’s four burger boys and their efforts to help the Cats land two more: Mohamed Bamba and Kevin Knox.
- Joe’s primary beat is Kentucky football, which in his first season covering the team reached a bowl game for the first time since 2010. Good-luck charm? Joe talks a little spring football and what he’s most interested in finding out about the Cats between now and a Friday Night Lights edition of the spring game in two weeks.
- The big one: With his first UK football and basketball seasons under his belt, we ask Joe his impressions of Big Blue Nation. Just how crazy does he think you people are?
Miss any of the previous eight episodes of Everybody’s Superpod? Conversations with Jay Bilas, Gary Parrish, Tony Delk, Nolan Richardson, Chad Ford and the director of Calipari’s upcoming 30 for 30 documentary are all archived on iTunes. You can also find every edition of SEC Country’s weekly Kentucky Wildcats basketball podcast right here.