LEXINGTON Ky. — Coach Mark Stoops spoke to the media after Thursday’s practice for his last round of questions before his team takes the field at 3:30 p.m. Saturday against Florida.
The coach only spoke for four minutes but here are the highlights:
- The team had a walk through Thursday and will fly out Friday.
- Stoops said it was a long but good week of practice: “I just saw guys trying to be focused and do the best they can,” he said. “Everybody can do better and I think that was the big message is dig in and don’t have any regrets and have the discipline to prepare the right way.”
- Stoops expects to have senior FS Blake McClain and sophomore LB Josh Allen healthy for Saturday.
- On the punting situation: “Yeah, we’ll see what happens,” Stoops said. “We’ll see. Planning on going with Grant right now, but we’ll see what happens.”
- On Drew Barker making his first road start: “Well we’ve just done our normal crowd noise and just gone about our business,” Stoops said. “I don’t anticipate that it’ll be an issue. It’s loud and you’re gonna have to deal with that and we have at practice. He’s been efficient, so I don’t know what else you can do. Get him locked in and ready to roll.”
- It didn’t sound like sophomore LB Kobie Walker has been as consistent as Stoops would like at this point: “I saw him have some ups and downs,” Stoops said in regards to Saturday. “He hasn’t played for awhile. He’s going to be a good player, and we’ve got to continue to bring him along. That was a lot for him in the first game.”