LEXINGTON, Ky. — Southern Miss rattled off 34 unanswered points to shock Kentucky in the season opener at Commonwealth Stadium. Here’s what coach Mark Stoops said about the 44-35 loss.
- Stoops opening statement: “Very difficult, that’s as tough as it gets right there.”
- “I don’t know if I’ve ever in my career wanted to apologize for a game.”
- Stoops promises to look in the future more like his team looked in the first half.
- “We’re going to go back to work. I know this football team is capable of a lot.”
- Stoops apologized to fans multiple times in his opening statement.
- Stoops says he’s never been in a game where his offense looked so good in one half and so bad in the other.
- Stoops says it was “evident” his team’s confidence went away in the second half.
- On the critics: “I understand it. The attendance part hurts.”https://www.facebook.com/1943961402497275/videos/2006553249571423/