ORLANDO, Fla. — LSU lost a heartbreaker in the 2018 Citrus Bowl, losing 21-17 versus Notre Dame.
After the game, LSU coach Ed Orgeron and running back Derrius Guice spoke to the media, breaking down what happened in the loss and looking at the future of the program.
SEC Country was on hand and typed the pair’s words as they said them. Below is an abridged transcript.
What LSU coach Ed Orgeron and Derrius Guice said:
- Orgeron: I compliment our team for fighting hard, playing hard for 60 minutes, although we played poorly in the special teams area. Going up with 2 minutes left in the game. Give credit to them for the way they played the game. Looking at the overall picture I’m very proud of our football team. We made some tremendous improvement over the season. I’m proud of this football team and this coaching staff. We should’ve prepared better. There are some things we need to get fixed. Especially in areas we didn’t perform.
- Guice: Coach O is a guy who really changed my life. I thank God for him giving me the opportunity time in and time out. He did a helluva job preparing us for this game. We just didn’t finish drives we should’ve finished. We should’ve finished every drive in the end zone. We just need to move on from here.
- Guice: It was both ways. We went into halftime with the score 3-0. Just started slow. We didn’t finish the drives. Special teams was lacking. We just have to finish drives in the end zone.
- Orgeron: He made a difference. We made a plan for Wimbush. Book made some plays that extended with his feet. Give him some credit.
- Orgeron: I will hire a special teams coach full time. That’s something we plan on doing real soon. The botched returns, that was unlike DJ. We just looked sloppy. Twice we had 10 men on the field. I put it on me. We hadn’t done that all year. We’re going to hire a full-time special teams coach. Hopefully that makes a difference.
- Orgeron: This game was always about focusing on Notre Dame. That’s all it is right now.
- Orgeron: Obviously, you think about it. But you go ahead with under 2 minutes left to go. Your defense has played well. I didn’t think they would score. I wanted to give my team a chance to score. We went for it on 4th-and-1 and we had a penalty and we missed the field goal. But I was giving my team the best chance to win.
- Orgeron: It was a tremendous catch by him. We had Donte on him, our best cover guy. It was a great catch by him, but it was a poor job by us tackling him. That’s what I’m most disappointed on.
- Guice: I did think I was across. It’s my fault. Next time I have to make it more clear.
- Orgeron: We bogged down in the red zone. We’ve got to get better at red zone offense. I’m going to have to watch the film to see what’s going on. It’s something we need to get better at.
- Orgeron: I thought Danny made some tremendous plays. Some of those passes, guys fought to get open and he scrambled around. He got hit and he got up. Typical Danny Etling.
- Orgeron: McMahon would be highly considered for special teams coordinator for sure. He would be highly considered.
- Guice: Me and Coach O have to have a deep conversation about it and see where it goes.
- Guice: It’s just how the game played out. I have another great running back behind me. It’s just about being a team player. I’m not crying for playing time. I want Darrel and Nick and Clyde to get playing time.
- Orgeron: I’m excited about our recruiting class coming in. We’re going to have to be training a new quarterback. We have to replace some seniors, some senior defensive linemen. We have to prepare for some guys going out in the draft. We’ve got some young recruits I think will be pretty good. We have four guys left to sign. There are going to be critical areas for us to sign in film. Nothing against the guys we have, but the [kickers] haven’t performed the way we want. We have to replace DJ Chark and Russell Gage. There’ll be some new faces on offense.
- Guice: The whole focus has been on this last game the last month.