BATON ROUGE, La. — Saturday wasn’t a game day, but for Ed Orgeron and the LSU football team it was about as close as it’ll get until fall.
LSU kicked off its spring practice schedule Saturday, after which Ed Orgeron held a press conference to explain what went down.
SEC Country is on hand and will be updating this blog with quotes as Orgeron says them. Be sure to refresh the page for updates while the presser is live. The press conference is scheduled to begin around 1:20 p.m. CT.
What Ed Orgeron said:
- We had a great first day of work. A lot of energy out there. Our coaches did a great job of preparing. I was really excited to see Matt Canada out on the field for the first time. I loved his intensity. He demands respect out there. I thought the offense did an excellent job. It was a little shaky, but it’s a new offense. They’re going to get it.
- I thought Drake Davis had a great day. Obviously Derrius (Guice) looked good. Defense did a good job.
- Obviously, we have to watch the film. There were probably a lot of first-day mistakes but the energy was high.
- I let (new offensive coordinator) Matt (Canada) handle (the quarterbacks). The reps will dwindle down as he sees them. He’s going to handle it. Some guys got some reps and they’ll get more reps later on in the spring.
- It’s an open competition. Matt Canada gets to feel these guys out. They all get their shot. I think the reps will increase for the guys that are better.
- We’ve got some new guys on the (offensive line). When you don’t have pads, the defense has an advantage.
- Lowell Narcisse got some reps at quarterback which was good. Justin Thomas looked good out there. I don’t think (Narcisse) can go in full contact.
- Toby Weathersby will be out all spring. Jakori Savage will have to compete. It’s going to be a competition between all of them and it’s up to (offensive line coach) Jeff (Grimes) who will play.
- Lloyd Cushenberry is the only center right now. That’s it right now.
- Isaiah Washington is getting back. He’s not full speed yet but he’s getting back there.
- I thought that it was going to be a change (for Matt Canada). I liked what he said (in the interview). But I had no idea he was going to be that good of a coach on the field. I know what Tommie (Robinson) can do. And Mickey (Joseph) has been dynamic since he got here. I’m very proud of Mickey.
- They practiced hard. I thought we got a lot done for the first day. We didn’t look like a team that was on its first day. The defense looked like we started where we left off. Now we got to go watch the film and build off it.
- We ain’t taking no time out there. We’re go. When we go out there and run plays, we’re going to go fast.
- You’ve got to challenge (the offense) with shifts and motions like that.
- Here’s what’s going on: The tight ends and fullbacks are going to work together. We don’t have a true fullback in the I. He’s a move guy. He’s more like a tight end. Some of those guys are going to be split out. Maybe they’ll eventually get back to the I.