BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team defeated Chattanooga, 45-10, Saturday night, improving the Tigers to 2-0 before their SEC opener versus Mississippi State next week.
After the game, LSU football coach Ed Orgeron spoke to the media about big performances from Derrius Guice and D.J. Chark and an impressive showing from freshman cornerback Greedy Williams.
SEC Country was on hand and typed what Orgeron said as he said it. Here are the quotes, as transcribed in the moment by SEC Country:
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We were pleased with the win. Obviously there were some areas we need to improve on. We were plus-2 in the turnover ratio, no turnovers for the offense again. We only had 1 penalty in the second half, compared to 10 in the first half, which was unacceptable.
- D.J. Chark had an outstanding job. Stephen Sullivan made an incredible catch. Our wide receivers did great.
- Defense has only allowed 1 touchdown in two weeks. Special teams were good. We need to still find a field goal kicker. We’re going to open it up and compete.
- We played 19 true freshmen, which we’re very proud of. I give it to Chattanooga. I thought we played very well.
- Now, we’re onto Mississippi State. We’re going to put this one away and get ready to play a better football game next week.
- We always want to take shots. They gave it to us tonight and we took it.
- I’m very concerned. We can’t go for it every time. We need to get points and we need to fix it fast. I don’t know. Maybe, Arden Key can come back next week and kick some field goals.
- I believe [penalties] are a mindset. It comes down to me. And I’m not putting up with it anymore.
- Really proud of those [cornerbacks]. We played tight man coverage. We want to get the ball. We’ve preached all camp about turnovers and winning the turnover margin. Tonight, we were +2, so we’re +3 for the season. To [get] where this team wants to get, we need to be better in our turnover ratio. And we’re up to a good start.
- I got after their butt. It was just an eye-opener. We were telling them all week it was going to be a battle. They might not have believed it. But they believed it after the start.
- We need depth. We’d like to go 4-wide, but we can’t do it yet. Still, JaCoby Stevens and Stephen Sullivan did a very good job tonight.
- We like to be balanced. I thought tonight was a good indicator of going 50-50 and being balanced. We have to run the ball. And Danny [Etling] was tremendous taking his shots tonight. I thought Matt [Canada] did a tremendous job calling plays tonight.
- No. 1, I think our offensive line is doing a great job of making [play-action] plays look like runs. Danny’s hitting his spots. And I think our wide receivers are doing a lot better job of running routes. The wide receivers are the most improved position on our team.
- I like that the guys get equal reps between Derrius and Darrel [Williams] and Nick Brossette and also Clyde [Edwards-Helaire]. We’re going to need to get a lot of reps.
- Give the credit to our coaching staff for drawing up the returns. There were some big holes there. But Chark has great vision. He’s played a lot of football. He’s just starting to learn how to do it. I think it was an effort on all 11 but give him some credit, too.
- Tonight, I thought we were very spotty, inconsistent. But I’m glad that it happened this week instead of next week. Next week is going to be a tough week. But we’re going to get some things right and we’re going to get better.
- Danny seems like a different player to me this year. He’s confident in the pocket. To see him scramble for a long run. Mississippi State has a great defensive coordinator. They’re going to give him some pressure. But he’s going to be ready for it.
- Myles Brennan is a play away. Anytime we can get him reps, we’re going to.
- Greedy is playing well. He’s doing a very good job. He’s a tall corner with speed, which is hard to find. That’s an outstanding young player who’s playing very well for us right now.
- We might get a couple of guys to ring some cowbells [in practice this week]. We’ve got a lot of respect for Mississippi State. Dan Mullen is an excellent coach. It’s going to be a battle.
- It was a great crowd. I think our guys were really excited. They know we need to play better.