BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team held its last practice before the squad leaves for spring break Thursday. After the session, which was a limited scrimmage, LSU football coach Ed Orgeron briefed the media on what went down.
SEC Country was on hand and updated this article with quotes as Orgeron said them. Orgeron addressed a series of issues, from LSU’s quarterback battle to the emergence of freshmen safeties Grant Delpit and JaCoby Stevens.
Orgeron’s quotes are listed below. Read through them and be sure to check back to SEC Country for more updates about Ed Orgeron and the LSU football team.
What Ed Orgeron said:
- We had a nice scrimmage today in Tiger Stadium. I’m proud of the team. They stayed focus on the task at hand. Tomorrow they’ll lift weights then they’ll head off for a week.
- Today was mainly a passing scrimmage. Danny Etling had an outstanding day. 13-for-17, 216 yards and 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. Justin McMillan was 3-of-5. Derrius Guice had three receptions for 37 yards. Russell Gage had two catches, D.J. Chark had two.
- Derrius had three rushes for 12 yards. I asked Matt Canada to throw the ball. Was not a rushing day.
- Overall I thought it was a very balanced scrimmage considering the passes that we threw. In two-minute we scored a touchdown and hit two field goals. Jack Gonsoulin hit a 51-yard field goal.
- I thought it was time to see us throw the football. More of a scrimmage where we threw the football. I wanted to see the timing of the type of routes we were throwing. We can throw it around.
- Danny did it. I thought he had a good day. And a good job of Matt of calling the plays. We’re going to sit down at the end of spring and talk about [the quarterbacks]. Danny is sitting at the first team right now.
- The number one rule is protect the team. The guys are going to do what they need to do [during spring break.] We’ve had 12 days of spring ball. We only have one big spring practice yet.
- No comment on Arden Key being in town.
- I think Matt Canada is running the type of offense that he wants to run, especially in the run game. We were very inconsistent at times today [in the pass game].
- Grant Delpit has done a good job. Very good athlete. Very good tackler. So is JaCoby Stevens. Those are two outstanding freshmen. Delpit got most of the time. I’d guess that he got 40 plays. They’re very smart. Very good students of the game. They don’t mind putting their nose in there.
- We’re planning on having two teams and having a spring game. We want it to be game-like. We’re going to work hard for it to be game-like. We have to go with what we have.
- Lloyd Cushenberry is having an outstanding spring. He is a legit football player right now. We believe Will Clapp will be our starting center. But we’re building depth.
- Coach O is going to Lake Charles for spring break.
That’s all. Thanks for following along.