BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team took the field for its second scrimmage of the fall session Saturday. Coach Ed Orgeron spoke to the media afterward to recap what he saw.
SEC Country was on hand for the press conference and typed out what Orgeron said here. Read through this article to see the stats Orgeron announced and which players stood out.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We just completed a fantastic preseason game two. I thought our guys were highly spirited and prepared. We covered every phase today. Our offense dominated most of the day today. I thought they came out with a great physical mindset. Darrel Williams had 16 carries for 76 yards and two touchdowns. Guice had limited carries, 9 for 102 yards. First play from scrimmage, he went 60 yards for a touchdown.
- We had a lot of guys who came back on the offensive line. Myles Brennan was 4-8. Danny Etling was 8-for-18 with two interceptions. Those two guys took most of the snaps today at quarterback. D.J. Chark was hurt briefly. Just caught his breath. JaCoby Stevens had two catches. Mannie Netherly caught one pass for 60 yards and a touchdown.
- On the offensive line, K.J. Malone was back. Garrett Brumfield, Lloyd Cushenberry, Ed Ingram and Toby Weathersby. First time Toby Weathersby was full all fall. Saahdiq Charles continues to impress at guard and tackle, so does Ed Ingram.
- Foster Moreau, J.D. Moore, Caleb Roddy, Jamal Pettigrew and Tory Carter all got a bunch of reps today.
- Rashard Lawrence had 6 tackles and a tackle for loss. Greg Gilmore had four tackles, one sack, one TFL. Jontre Kirklin showed up with 4 tackles. Grant Delpit had a long interception for a TD. Our young guys continue to play well.
- Danny is our starting quarterback right now. Myles did practice a couple of snaps with the first team today. I thought he’s done pretty well. We went to the two-minute drill at the end and our practice wasn’t what we needed. But again, our protection wasn’t what we needed.
- Everybody quarterback got to play, but not everybody got to throw a lot of passes.
- I would think right now D.J. Chark, Russell Gage and Derrick Dillon have separated themselves [at receiver]. Stephen Sullivan is coming along strong. Drake Davis is a premier athlete and one day he’s going to be a great player. JaCoby Stevens is coming along. Racey McMath has been sidelined with an injury. He should be back Monday. Dee Anderson has been sidelined most of camp with an injury.
- It seems like Matt Canada is very comfortable in calling his offense. I would say that we’re about 70 percent there on offensive installation. It’s just repetition. I thought he did a tremendous job of showing what our offense can do.
- Delpit went as a starter. Ed Paris has been hurt a little bit. He practiced a little bit today but Grant ran most of the reps with the first team. He and Kary Vincent are considered starters for us. Those guys are going to play for us. They’re considered starters in our mind.
- K’Lavon, I think he had four tackles and another sack. He wasn’t as dominant as he was before, but he continued to show excellent, excellent progress. Obviously, Arden is not practicing. Andre Anthony has been sidelined by an injury. So it’s Chaisson and Ray Thornton. Sci Martin is taking second-team reps.
- Saahdiq Charles, there’s no way he would’ve been getting reps if we weren’t so thin. But he’s been proving he can play like a starter. Donovaughn Campbell is a battling an injury right now but he should be back.
- I think Brossette needs to continue to do what he’s doing and compete. That’s a loaded backfield right there. Nick is showing us today that he’s a running back that if we call his name at LSU, he can do a great job for us.
- Clyde did not practice today. He will be back Monday.
- J.D. Moore is working. Tory Carter is working. Those guys are doing a tremendous job. I think they’ve done a good job. When you go out there, Steve Ensminger every time I look up, he sleeps in his office. I don’t know how much he sleeps at all. He’s very involved in everything we do. He’s done a tremendous job for us.
- I would hope we throw to the tight ends. I love to throw to the tight ends. We’ll put some red zone routes in. I think Foster Moreau can catch the ball in the red zone and in the flats.
- It’s Ed Ingram or Lloyd Cushenberry at right guard if Will Clapp is better. It’ll be two out of those three.
- It’s good to have preseason games. We did have a malfunction with our headsets. The guys could not hear from the press box. So I came to them and said ‘Let Steve call the plays.’ He called a couple plays today. We didn’t blink an eye.