Former LSU head coach Les Miles spoke publicly on Monday for the first time since he was fired Sunday afternoon. Miles appeared on The Dan Patrick Show and reflected on his long tenure with the Tigers.
He spoke for roughly 10 minutes on a number of topics. Here’s the quick hits of what Miles had to say.
- Miles was told he was fired face-to-face by LSU athletic director Joe Alleva. “Anything that they see that makes the Tigers better, than I’m for it. I accepted that outcome and I will support this decision and these Tigers as we go forward.” He added that it was beyond fighting the decision.
- Miles felt the decision to fire him was made over more than just the Auburn loss. “How that game ends with the Tigers fighting for their breath, maybe there is a way the coach could have got them a second more. I would argue that I made those moves, but one second? It was certainly a decision that was made more appropriately over more than one second.”
- Miles didn’t feel there was an “undercurrent” about his job status around the program. “It was about football in that building,” Miles said.
- Miles said he appreciated Joe Alleva giving him a chance to talk to his players before he left. “I think Ed Orgeron will do a great job for them. I exited just about as fast as I could,” Miles said.
- “I think I gave us a chance to win the game. To defend myself, that’s what I did,” Miles said.
- Miles when asked if he would want to coach again: “I don’t golf. I play no tennis. I enjoy shooting the gun, I don’t necessarily like to point it at animals. I play cards, not very well. But what I have done for 12 to 14 hours a day for the last number of years has coached football so I would have a difficult time not being involved in the game and not being a coach.”
- Miles said he has had a great run at LSU and doesn’t feel sorry for himself. “I enjoyed myself the entire time.”
- “That’s going to be a tough one,” Miles said when asked what he’ll do on Saturday. He said he’s going to be rooting for UNC, Michigan, the Dallas Cowboys and LSU. “I enjoy football and I can’t imagine I won’t be involved in some way.”
The full audio of the interview can be found below:
.mp3 Audio (9 min, 47 sec): Les Miles on the Dan Patrick Show: https://t.co/MkSzDp9o0E.
— lsufootball.net (@lsufootball_net) September 26, 2016