BATON ROUGE, La. — Ed Orgeron has one last chance to prove that he deserves LSU’s head coaching job. And that chance begins today.
After Saturday’s 16-10 loss to Florida dropped Orgeron to 4-2 in six games as LSU’s interim coach, there’s still a small probability that Coach O could earn his job full time. But a loss this Thursday to Texas A&M would sink Orgeron’s chances completely.
Orgeron will take the podium at 12:30 p.m. CT today to address the media for the first time since the Florida loss. SEC Country is on hand and will update this blog with quotes as Orgeron says them. Be sure to stay posted with this article and refresh the page for updates.
What Ed Orgeron said:
- Obviously our guys came in disappointed about the outcome of the game. We did some very good things in the ballgame. Five trips to the red zone and not coming up with points, that hurt us. The execution on some plays hurt us. The botched snap on the field goal really hurt us. The long pass was uncharacteristic of our defense.
- Obviously we outgained them in total yards, but that doesn’t count. We didn’t put points on the board when we had to.
- What an honor to represent this LSU football team on Thanksgiving night.
- Texas A&M is +6 in the turnover ratio. The offense, they’re a spread coached by coach Mazzone who I know very well. They’re a pretty balanced attack. They’re scoring 35 points per game. Jake Hubenak has done a very good job of replacing their quarterback. Christian Kirk is one of the best running backs in our league. Their running back breaks tackles, that’s something that we’ll need to improve on this week.
- We know their defensive coordinator really well. They’re led by Myles Garrett. He’s very disruptive, very talented. We’ll need to have a big attack to stop him.
- Derrius knows it’s about execution. He’s disappointed about what happened, but it’s not on him. We can point out 20 plays where it’s about execution. He’s one of 20 players who didn’t execute. It’s not all on him.
- They’re very talented in their pass rush. They force you to make good throws. We’ve played other defenses where they just sell out to get to the ball. That’s not the kind of defense they are.
- I think it’s going to be an advantage for us today the way we practice. I think today is going to be a challenging day, but the guys are going to go out on the field with a challenging day of practice.
- We always say big plays fuel emotion. The more big plays we make, the more emotion we’ll get.
- Kendell is going to be out. Leonard’s day-to-day with that ankle. We’ll see. It’s going to be a game-time situation again. We’ll see if he can practice and do the things that he can tolerate.
- Donnie did a pretty good job for us. Duke helped him out a little bit. There’s a difference obviously between him and Kendell. But I think Donnie is going to be a really good football player.
- When we started this and we came up to this podium it felt like yesterday [that I took over for Les Miles]. When the game is over, I’m sure we’ll discuss. But I’m taking it one day at a time. What a wonderful opportunity it is to coach on Thanksgiving. That’s what I’m focused on now.
- We block out the noise. We all woke up Sunday morning with that ache in our belly. I had to get myself off of the campus. When I saw the coaching staff, we kind of rallied around each other and leaning on each other. Then we started feeling better. I think we’ll get on the grass and feel a little better. Then we’ll focus on the task at hand. It’s getting close. I understand that.
- It’s been fantastic. What a ride. It’s been great. The head coach at LSU being from Louisiana. It’s been fun. It’s been fun to see our players grow. It’s been an exciting challenge. I’ve grown as a head coach. It’s been great.
- I think the injury to the quarterback, he was a great player. He made the offense go. When you have a dual-threat quarterback, it makes this offense very dangerous.
- We’re going to embrace it. It’s a great opportunity. Thursday is going to be a Saturday for us. It’s going to be a great day. Our focus is strictly going to be game day. We’ll enjoy the holiday after we play the game.
- Myles Garrett and Arden are a lot alike. You have to protect. He’s going to come off the edge. It takes two to block him, maybe three. He’s a dominant player.
- It meant a lot to Duke. Him and Kendell are like brothers. But it’s next man up.
- Here’s what I have to say: That stuff may not have affected us, but I wish I could’ve tempered it more. I learned my lesson. When you get in a mindset that you’re going to fight, it takes away from the execution. I remember the Miami/Notre Dame game where we fought in the tunnel. We won the fight but we lost the game. It’s not worth it.
- I think there’s some development that needs to be done. But I think LSU should be competing for an SEC championship every single year.
- I’ll just say this: All those guys I’m sure have thoughts or whatever [about the NFL] but I’m always recruiting. I’ll tell you that.
Thank you guys, have a great day.