BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team played its second spring scrimmage through a mucky and rainy Louisiana storm Saturday. Afterward, Ed Orgeron briefed the media on what went down.
SEC Country is on hand and will be updating this article with quotes as Orgeron says them. Be sure to refresh the page while the presser is live for full quotes and updates to injuries, position battles and more.
Orgeron is expected to speak beginning at 1:15 p.m. CT. He generally shows up to pressers a couple of minutes late, so if the article isn’t updating right away, don’t fret. If the presser is running really late, we’ll update you on Twitter @SECCountryLSU and @nicksuss.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We had an excellent day. We challenged our players with toughness, energy. We’re very proud of our offense. Tremendous day out there. Danny Etling was 4-of-10 for 123 yards and a touchdown. Our totals were 11-19 for 227 and 2 touchdowns. Outstanding job by the offensive line. Darrel Williams had an outstanding day. This is the second scrimmage in a way that they won.
- Obviously we have some injuries up front on defense, but we need to get better. They completed some deep balls on us and we need to fix it. But overall, I’m really pleased with the offense. The motions and shifts are very good. Very few penalties today.
- I think it’s (Darrel’s) time. I think the offense fits him. The coaching style of Tommie Robinson is starting to show. All those things combined.
- We’re still working (the quarterbacks) out. Obviously Danny, Justin (McMillan) and Lindsey (Scott) got most of the reps today.
- Rashard Lawrence is having a great spring. He’s the one that has improved the most. Ray Thornton had an excellent day today.
- We made some big plays in the passing game today. It’s a tribute to Mickey (Joseph) and to Matt (Canada) and the coaching staff.
- It’s not like we’re game-planning against each other. Not yet.
- We’re basically running from a spread offense. Very little I. Very little pro formation. The blocking schemes are very similar. There’s a lot of carryover from what we’re trying to do.
- Donnie Alexander is stepping up for us. Danny is stepping up. I think we’re going to be really solid for us on the offensive line when we get the injured guys back.
- I like people coming to see what we’re doing. I want as many coaches at these practices as we can. As far as right now in the spring, we invite people to come. We had some great speakers. Our coaching staff did a great job. They were energetic throughout the weekend.
- I think the key to the whole weekend was (Pro Football Hall of Fame OT) Anthony Munoz. What a presence. He met all the coaches, was around all day telling stories. He wants to help out LSU’s program. He’s a friend of mine and we’re going to rely on him.
- Dee Anderson played today. He had 2 catches for 30 yards. Drake Davis had a big catch, 1 for 39. The only guy I didn’t mention was Russell Gage, 3 receptions for 59 yards. He made a tremendous catch today.
- McMillan has looked good. He has a quick release and he’s looked really well. He’s getting second-team reps, right now, yeah.
- Competition makes us all better. He’s a team guy. Danny’s a team guy. He wants what’s best for the team. I have complete trust in Danny.
That’s all. Thank you for following along.