BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team isn’t playing for a national championship this weekend. But it is playing for Ed Orgeron.
Orgeron and his Tigers will host the Florida Gators in Tiger Stadium Saturday afternoon, looking to deny Florida a berth to the SEC Championship game and clear the path for Orgeron to drop his interim tag and be retained full-time as LSU’s head coach.
Coach O will come out to address the media for the final time in advance of Saturday’s game Thursday evening. SEC Country is on hand and will be updating this post live with quotes as they come out of Orgeron’s mouth. Be sure to stay on and refresh this page for updates.
Orgeron is expected to begin at 6 p.m. CT.
What Ed Orgeron said:
- We just finished no-repeat Thursday. The guys were energetic, ready to go. Now it’s time to get ready. Our team is excited to play a good Florida team at home. We’re just looking forward to it.
- We’ve gotten better. We have more confidence in the things that we’ve done. We’ve gotten simpler on defense. Dave has a good feel on his players and the position to put them in.
- Florida’s offensive line has been really blocking well. Obviously a different quarterback, he manages the game well. Their defense is third in the nation, very strong against the run. They’re very opportunistic on defense. They blitz, come after the quarterback. We’re going to have to protect.
- John Battle: He got better. He’s going to be ready to go. He’s going to be OK.
- I’m going to put them in their rooms at 9. I don’t know what time they’re going to go to sleep.
- You could see this week: It’s just the task at hand. We had a lot of opportunities to be non-focused. But we used last week as an example. I think they forgot about what happened, to be honest with you.
- It’s going to be important that we play for 60 minutes. We’ve got to start fast. The team that’s going to be able to run the football and play defense is going to win the game.
- I think we’ve grown closer as a team. The whole team has been close. One team, one heartbeat.
- My job is to get this team ready to play on Saturday.
- On Tashawn Bower: He really was probably the worst one who was hurt. But we think he’s going to be fine. He’s going to play.
- Leonard: Should be fine.
- Frank played really well last week. We have to use the rotation at the defensive end spot.