Coming off a weekend where LSU neither played nor had an official bye week, there’ll be plenty for LSU interim coach Ed Orgeron to discuss this week. Luckily for you, Orgeron is set to take the podium soon to address the media for the first time leading into the game this Saturday against Southern Miss.
In addition, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva is expected to address the media about the cancelled/postponed game against Florida from last Saturday prior to Orgeron. SEC Country is on the scene and will be updating this post live with quotes as Orgeron says them. The press conference is scheduled to begin at 12:30 CT. Remember to refresh the page as time goes on to get the latest updates from the press conference.
- I know there’s a lot of speculation about the speculation of the scheduling of this Florida football game. I’ve been in contact with commissioner Sankey. One thing that we’re going to hold very firm on is that we have a home game on Nov. 19 and we’re going to have a home game on Nov. 19. We are going to have a home game on Nov. 19. We’re not going to change that situation.
- We have an open date before the Alabama game. I’m not in favor of playing a game on that day unless Alabama also plays a game on that day. There’s an option on Dec. 3 when the conference championship game is. I don’t know if that’s an option because of TV contracts and dome contracts.
- It’s not about [money]. It’s about that our fans and this city deserve to have a home game on that day. If those scenarios play out like that, there might need to be different rules about how the conference championship is played.
- I watched South Carolina play Georgia yesterday and I was wishing we were playing too. Either here or there. I was wishing we were playing no doubt.
- We had eight coaches out on the road Friday night. It was tremendous reception going around to all those places being the coach of LSU. Our players got a much-needed weekend off with their families. But we’re ready to get back into game week.
- We all called each other Saturday morning and there was an empty feeling in our bellies.
- I know this is a big game for them but it’s not about them it’s about us and the LSU Tigers.
- They have a very good running back in Ito Smith. Nick Mullens is a very good quarterback. He has almost a 60 percent passing percentage. Their defense is multiple. 4-3, 3-4, blitz a lot. It all depends on the team they’re playing. Jay is a defensive coach and I know he’s done a tremendous job with that defense.
- This [weekend] was new. But we moved forward very quickly. I think the benefit of it was we got to focus as a team all week in practice, but over the weekend we got to go out and recruit.
- I did talk to coach Frank [Wilson at UTSA] and I complimented him. As you know, coach and I are very good friends. I talk to him every weekend. And he warned me that [Southern Miss] is a dangerous team.
- I totally trust Joe [Alleva] and the administration as for what they are going to do to schedule and all that. I coach the football team.
- The momentum I think is going to come from a rested football team, from a hungry football team. Saturday morning, everybody was a little ornery wanting to play.
- I don’t know if [Leonard Fournette] is going to play this week. I’d list him as questionable.
- It was amazing. I stopped to get a little energy drink and the fans went wild. I went to 10 schools. I saw a lot of friends of mine. It was just business as usual. But it was the LSU head coach there. And people were excited to see the LSU head coach.
- This is college football. Whatever the day brings, we’re going to face it and be positive about it. This is a new season for us. This is game two of our season.
- I just felt when I walked in and told the players that we weren’t playing, I just felt bad for them. It’s about these guys. It’s about getting them to feel good. It’s about seeing these coaches rallying together. There’s new life in this office. People are happy. People are getting around. That’s what matters, right?
- I do believe that when I was with Pete Carrol, you saw his teams get better throughout the year. I believe a well-coached team is going to get better throughout the week.
- I’ve recruited this state for a long time and I’m proud to wear the purple and gold. I think having a personal relationship with [Louisiana high school coaches] is important. And you can just feel their happiness that a Louisiana guy is coaching the team.
- We want to make short, easy reads for Danny Etling. The things that he doesn’t do well, he doesn’t do them. Danny’s a leader. Danny’s tough. And he’s earning the respect of his team.
- Injuries is a part of football, especially this part of the season. So we have to have some guys that will be ready to play.
- We had our coordinators stay on Friday and they had a chance to look at several teams that we’re going to play. Yesterday when we got into the office it was strictly Southern Miss the whole week. It gave us a little more preparation. We had all day yesterday to work on Southern Miss.
And that will be all of that. Thank you for following along.