Welcome back to the head coaching ranks, Ed Orgeron.
Just three weeks into his reign as LSU’s head football coach, the former defensive line coach has had plenty to deal with. And today is no different. It was announced this afternoon that LSU’s game against Florida, which was postponed last weekend because of Hurricane Matthew, has been rescheduled for Nov. 19, in Baton Rouge instead of Gainesville, Fla.
Orgeron is set to address the media tonight, beginning at about 6:05 CT. SEC Country is on hand and will be updating this blog with quotes as Orgeron says them. Be sure to monitor and refresh this page for updates and they are posted.
- We heard the news that we’re going to play Florida at home on Nov. 19, which is great news. I want to thank Joe Alleva for giving us the chance to reach our goals. I did not tell our team about it. They’re going to hear about it, but our focus is on Southern Miss. I did not address it with them. My message to them was to focus on the focus.
- I was happy and I’m sure the team is going to be happy when they hear it. It’s a great rivalry and there’s an advantage to us playing at home.
- [Rickey Jefferson] broke his leg. I don’t know [how long he’ll be out]. It wasn’t in the live contact. He got his leg whipped. But he’s going to try to be back.
- It’s going to be fun. I think [the Florida game] is going to be an exciting night at Tiger Stadium. It just puts the rivalry stakes a little higher.
- I found out today at about 4 o’clock. My first thought was to tell the team. But then I thought about the focus.
- [Corey Thompson] is a little sore. He’s trying. He’s not going to play this week and I don’t know if he’s going to play next week. But he’s trying.
- Especially having the open date before Alabama and getting to play Florida at home, I think it’s a win. I want to thank Joe Alleva and our administration. He did an amazing job.
- I can’t speak to [if it’ll be a distraction]. I think a cloud has been lifted.
- There was a point that we discussed John Battle starting. Him and Rickey were tight. Now it’s John Battle’s turn. Although we’re going to miss Rickey, I don’t think we’re going to skip a beat.
- We’ll be celebrating the life of Mike the Tiger, obviously. Not having played in two weeks, it’ll be a good night.
- I think we’re putting a decal on the back of the helmets. I haven’t seen the decal yet. But they’ll put something on the back of the helmet to honor him.
That’s the end of that. Thanks for following along.