BATON ROUGE, La. — LSU athletic director Joe Alleva is meeting with the media after firing men’s basketball coach Johnny Jones on Friday.
Here is a recap of what he said:
- Days like this are not fun, especially when you’re dealing with a friend and a great person. But we needed a change. We need to compete for championships and we weren’t going in that direction.
- It will take some time to find a replacement. Most of the people we want to talk to are in postseason play and they won’t want to talk while they’re playing.
- I’ve learned the word ‘fit’ is a joke. Johnny Jones is a perfect fit. I’m looking for a winner. It was like a marriage that didn’t work out.
- This is LSU, this is a great place. The potential here is phenomenal.
- We are in consultation with a search firm. Members of my staff will be heavily involved. It will be similar to the football search.
- All of Jones’ assistants have been dismissed. Deputy AD Eddie Nunez has been put in charge of the program’s operations in the interim.
Alluvia spoke and took questions for just over 5 minutes before ending the press conference.