BATON ROUGE, La. — One day after making a hire that might define his tenure as the head coach of the LSU football team, Ed Orgeron led his Tigers back into practice.
Orgeron and LSU are gearing up for the Citrus Bowl against Louisville on Dec. 31, a game that the Tigers began preparation for today with a short practice. Afterward, Orgeron spoke to the media to address questions about new offensive coordinator Matt Canada, as well as his team and its practice plans for the next two weeks.
Orgeron is expected to speak at 4:45 CT. SEC Country is on hand and will be updating this blog with quotes as Orgeron says them. Be sure to stay with this page and refresh from time to time for updates as they come.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- After a big talk, I’m excited to have Christian LaCouture back for next year.
- It was great to start practice today. We could feel the energy. Our players were excited to see each other and get to work.
- Bobby April, who has coached in the NFL for many years, he’s a great Louisiana man, he has been hired on as a consultant. He can consult in the film room with our coaches only. He will do no coaching on the field or off the field. But we are proud to have Bobby April part of the program.
- One of the things is that guys were excited to be back, but you could tell we were a little rusty. I think for the most part they were in good shape.
- It’s good to see [Andre Anthony and Willie Allen]. It was the first time Andre practiced with us. And I didn’t see as much of Willie, but it was good to have those guys back.
- I had heard about [Matt Canada’s] coaching on the field. Everything was A-Plus. I had heard about his ability to recruit too, but I saw it last night. Excellent. He was talking to all the parents. He was very direct, very convincing on the phone. Obviously we feel he will be a very good recruiter for our class.
- Lindsay Scott does a good job [of pretending to be Lamar Jackson]. But Lamar Jackson is special.
- You watch three snaps of Lamar Jackson and that’ll make you forget about all that noise. This is an exciting test for our young men. This is a big football game for the LSU program.
- It wasn’t easy. [Christian] was going. But Pete Jenkins had a lot to do with it. It’s not easy, but we had a lot of access to him. We had him around every day. So we kept hammering him. And he listened. Having Pete Jenkins and Dave Aranda being his coach. What a great set of parents he has. It was best for us, but I think at the end he realized it was best for him.
- I think it’s going to be day-to-day. We’re going to have discussions, Leonard and I as we go forward.
- Bobby Petrino is a good coach. The offensive line blocks well. They’re the No. 2 offense in the country for a reason.
- I don’t know how many bowl this has been that I’ve been to. But this is the same bowl practices I did for National Championship teams [at USC] and the same at Syracuse.
- They’re very challenging. They load the box and they challenge you to throw the football.
What Christian LaCouture said:
- I’m excited to be a leader for this football. We’re very excited and we’re happy and I’m excited for this opportunity. Talking to Coach O and this staff, we expect championships around here. Next year, we have a big shot to go to the College Football Playoff and beyond.
- I did individuals today, running cutting, I’m just being cautious. Coach O said I could do that and I was really excited. Just getting back out there and having that buzz again. I just came back out there and was doing those things.
- It’s been hard. When I got hurt, a couple of days after we had the flood. A lot of stuff hit the fan. I thought at one point I was really going to leave, but talking to Coach O and the leader he is, hearing what his vision for this football team is something that is really exciting and I want to be a part of.
- I’m only wearing the brace because my mom told me to. Jack said I’m fine.
- To be honest, I was leaning toward [leaving]. But listening to Coach O’s vision, we’re going to have an explosive offense with Coach Canada and with Coach Aranda and those defensive players, it’s exciting day-in and day-out. It’s just something I want to be a part of. I want to be a team leader for this football team next year.
- I tell Coach O and Coach Pete that I got to see a different side of football, kind of watching and seeing what goes on.
- I really feel like we’re going to have a special team next year. I’m going to ask Coach O whatever I need to do.