What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said in his pre-Ole Miss press conference Thursday
BATON ROUGE, La. — LSU coach Ed Orgeron spoke to the media Thursday in advance of his Tigers’ game versus Ole Miss Saturday.
Before his team leaves for Oxford, Miss., Orgeron briefed the media on why he thinks Saturday is a “must-win game,” plus updates on the health of his running backs and offensive line.
SEC Country typed Orgeron’s quotes as he said them. Here’s an abridged transcript of the quotes.
What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said:
- All week, our coaches have been talking to our guys about going to Oxford, Miss., and remembering the last time we went there. That team was on fire. Our team has been told that they’re going to play a lot of veterans. We’re expecting their best effort. This is a rivalry game and this is a game LSU must win. It’s a must-win game for us. Our guys are ready for it. It’s going to be a great battle.
- For Arden Key to go out in pregame warmups and be electric like he is, he’s always been that way. He’s always had the confidence. But I think the conditioning level and him losing 20 pounds has been the difference. He wasn’t the same player at 270, obviously. I think it’s just confidence. After shoulder surgery, it takes a while to get confident. Arden’s electric. He has a contagious personality. When he’s on, the whole team is.
- Toby Weathersby will be the right tackle. Hopefully he can go the whole game. When a guy comes back, you’ve got to be ready to spell him. Adrian Magee is going to have to play several positions for us. He can play left tackle, he can play guard, he can backup Toby. He’s our swing guy.
- Obviously they’ve got to defend that jet sweep. To do that, they have to give something up. We’ve got to figure out what they’re giving up fast. That’s all got to be coordinated by our quarterback, and he’s done a good job with it.
- I think this is the healthiest Derrius [Guice] has been in a while. Hopefully we’ll see that Saturday.
- This is going to be more of a challenge this week. This is a better group of receivers. They’re going to have more balls thrown at them. This is going to be like playing in the NFL for [our DBs].
- We’re looking for [special teams guys] to make those plays. The punting has been fantastic. It’s changed the field position for us.
- I think it’s been a while since Derrius had re-injured his injury. Talking to the trainers, this is the healthiest its been.
- I’ve been back to Tennessee. This is my third time back to Oxford. It’s another game for me. Another SEC game. I want this win for our players.
- It’s LSU-Ole Miss. It’s a rivalry game. This is for the fans. This is for sacking Archie Manning. This is a battle of border states and bragging rights. This is what college football’s all about. The thing about LSU is it’s a rivalry every week. Obviously we’re going to have bigger rivals down the road. But we need to take care of business first. What we’ve done the last two weeks is outstanding. But we have to build off it.
- I think DBs playing well makes them one-dimensional. The reason they had success against Vanderbilt was they ran the ball. They had some big throws against California. They were up 14-0 on us last year. These guys start fast. They can strike at any time. I think the team’s that’ve done well against them have great pass rush, great coverage and run the ball well on offense to keep the ball away from them.
- We broke that record, the largest comeback in Tiger Stadium. I don’t want to do that again. We want to start fast, we want enthusiasm. Without the crowd behind us, we’ll have to start fast.