BATON ROUGE, La. — Two days before his team matches up with No. 10 Auburn, LSU coach Ed Orgeron addressed the media Thursday, previewing his team’s pivotal weekend matchup.
Orgeron spoke about the biggest storylines surrounding his team, providing status updates on injured players, resolving depth chart questions and breaking down the week of practice. SEC Country was on hand and typed Orgeron’s quotes as he said them. Find those quotes below:
What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We just completed no repeat Thursday. A lot of former players were here today. Guys that played in 79, 80, 81, 82. Great players were here. We had a group of guys around to give a big boost to our team. We had a good day today. I think the guys have a mindset that they’re ready to go to battle on Saturday. They start their games very fast. We have a lot of respect for the team.
- K.J. is questionable. Toby is questionable. Maybe three [freshmen offensive line] again if we have to.
- We have to run our offense. They’re very good. We have to do what we’re going to do. Go in full speed running our offense and doing the things we need to do to be successful.
- Adrian Magee has been good. He’s been swinging a lot of places between guard and tackle. We need him. Him and Lloyd Cushenberry have played a lot of snaps with the first team. We’re going to need them this week.
- Frank Herron is excited to get back out there. His conditioning level of playing football is going to have to improve. But he’s full go.
- Austin Deculus did a good job. He can handle the physicality of the game. That’s a positive for a freshman lineman. I’m sure Jeff is going to do a good job of fixing his mistakes.
- Derrius looked good in practice. I think that run last week gave him some confidence. He seems like he’s fine this week. But we’ll see.
- We want to spread the ball around and put the ball in our playmakers hands in space.
- You;d like to take the ball and drive it for 10 minutes if you could. But you never want to go in and say that they’re going to score a couple of touchdowns. I think the key to these guys is to tackle. You’ve got to be able tackle in space.
- I think the advantage [Kerryon Johnson] has is when he breaks the line of scrimmage. Our big men have to tackle. We’re going to have to gang tackle. He hardly ever goes down on the first hit.
- At each position, there were different tackles we were missing. Dave Aranda gave us that certain percentage. I worked at outside linebacker. We were good at one tackle, but not so good at open field tackling. Each group had a certain type of tackle they had to work on. I do believe you’re going to see an improved tackling team.
- I showed Arden Key the Clemson film today. But their quarterback escapes a lot too. He has escape ability. We have to keep him in the pocket. It’s going to take all four to get a sack, or maybe more. We have to be very disciplined in what we do.
- I’m sure there’s a lot of memories about Auburn in here. We don’t talk about it. We’re focused on this year’s opponent.