Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Eye on the Tigers, a rundown of everything happening in LSU Tigers recruiting, with Sam Spiegelman. Today, we discuss LSU’s upcoming elite high school prospect camp, which should bring marquee names to Baton Rouge from both in-state and out-of-state. New offers and, possibly, new commitments could occur.
Previewing LSU elite camp
LSU will hold its annual elite high school prospect camp this week, beginning on Thursday and wrapping up on Saturday. Expect big-time names, new offers and possible commitments to take place in what is often one of the busiest recruiting events on the calendar.
It’s worth noting that several of the Tigers’ 2019 commitments will be on hand, most notably 5-stars Derek Stingley Jr. and Kardell Thomas, 4-star tailback Tyrion Davis, 3-star center Charles Turner and defensive lineman Joseph Evans. Additionally, 4-star Texas outside linebacker Marcel Brooks is expected to make the trek to Baton Rouge.
Additionally, LSU will play host to 3-star cornerback Cordale Flott, who is making his second visit to campus this summer. This time, it’ll count as an official. Flott, who has been committed to Auburn since April, has been to LSU two times since garnering an offer in May. Sources on the Auburn side believe that Flott’s commitment is a bit shaky, making this weekend’s return trip to LSU worth monitoring very closely.
LSU currently holds commitments from three defensive backs in its 2019 class and will likely bring in at least four or five by Signing Day. Stingley gave a commitment to the Tigers earlier on Wednesday, while Marcus Banks joined Maurice Hampton in the talented group earlier this month. Top targets also include 4-star cornerback Devin Bush, 4-star cornerback Joey Porter Jr. and 3-star safety Bertrand Carrell. Clearly, the staff is eyeing up the 6-foot-2, 165-pound Flott as a potential fit as well.
Here’s the list of other visitors and campers expected during the three-day event:
2019 prospects with offers
- Nakobe Dean, 5-star LB, Horn Lake, Miss.
- Kardell Thomas, 5-star OL, Baton Rouge, La. (LSU commit)
- Derek Stingley Jr., 5-star CB, Baton Rouge, La. (LSU commit)
- John Emery Jr., 4-star RB, Destrehan, La.
- Noah Cain, 4-star RB, Bradenton, Fla.
- Christian Harris, 4-star ATH, Baton Rouge, La.
- Tyrion Davis, 4-star RB, Baton Rouge, La. (LSU commit)
- Marcel Brooks, 4-star LB, Flower Mound, Texas (LSU commit)
- Devin Bush, 4-star CB, New Orleans
- Devonta Lee, 4-star ATH, Amite, La.
- Trey Palmer, 4-star WR, Kentwood, La.
- Ray Parker, 4-star TE, Ruston, La.
- Joseph Evans, 3-star DT, Haynesville, La. (LSU commit)
- David Baldwin, 3-star QB, Bradenton, Fla.
- Bertrand Carrell, 3-star DB, Baton Rouge, La.
- Cordale Flott, 3-star CB, Saraland, Ala. (Auburn commit; official visitor)
- Charles Turner, 3-star OL, Bradenton, Fla. (LSU commit)
Notes: It is going to be Stingley’s first chance to recruit for LSU, so look out. He’ll be out there competing with Thomas, Evans, Charles and Davis, so a large contingent of commitments will be hard at work. Other visits that loom large include Dean, Emery, Cain, Harris, Bush, Lee, Palmer and Carrell, in-state prospects with offers in hand. It’ll be interesting to see what positions Harris works out at. The same goes for Carrell, who with a notable performance could potentially pop while on campus.
Quarterback-wise, Baldwin is the only one with an offer expected to throw. Parrish, Walker, Suianoa and Saxton will be competing to earn their offer as the Tigers’ search for a 2019 passer continues. Expect more clarity on the situation after this weekend.
It’ll be a major positive if LSU can get Emery and Cain both on campus with Davis. Both 4-star backs have been making visits all across the country this spring and into the summer, but these three sit squarely atop the team’s board. Expect some combination of the three to sign with the Tigers come December.
2019 prospects without offers
- Peter Parrish, 4-star QB, Phenix City, Ala.
- Sam Saxton, 3-star QB, Austin, Texas
- Jackson Walker, 3-star QB, Memphis, Tenn.
- Shae Suianoa, 3-star QB, Houston
- Chester Kimbrough, 4-star CB, New Orleans
- Nelson Ceasar, 4-star DE/OLB, Missouri City, Texas
- Dalvin Hutchinson, 3-star DT, West Monroe, La.
- Greg Brooks Jr., 3-star CB, Harvey, La.
- Mike Hollins, 3-star RB, Baton Rouge, La.
- Dylan Rathcke, 3-star OL, Baton Rouge, La.
- Jordan Clark, 3-star CB, Baton Rouge, La.
- Caleb Etienne, 3-star OL, New Orleans
- Ahmad Antoine, 3-star RB, New Orleans
- Amani Gilmore, 3-star QB, Amite, La.
- Kyle Maxwell, 3-star ATH, Amite, La.
- Charvis Thornton, 3-star ATH, Baton Rouge, La.
- Ramone McGrew, WR, New Orleans
- Jonathan Porter, OLB, Edgard, La.
- Kiaeem Green, ATH, New Orleans
- Dywan Griffin, ATH, New Orleans
- Michael Corner, WR, New Orleans
- Anthony Shaffer, DB, Baton Rouge, La.
- Nate Hayden, QB, Argyle, Texas
- Kamrin Sartin, CB, Baton Rouge, La.
- Preston Suttice, ATH, Corinth, Texas
Notes: Some notable prospects without offers include the quarterbacks, Brooks, Hollins, Kimbrough and Ceasar, who is making his way from the Houston metro area. LSU is looking for a deep secondary haul in 2019 and it would not be surprising to see either Kimbrough or Brooks land offers with impressive displays on Friday. Hollins could emerge as an offer at running back if the staff loses steam with Emery, who’ll announce his decision on July 7, or Cain, who is waiting until December to commit.
2020 prospects with offers
- Zach Evans, 5-star RB, Houston
- Ashaad Clayton, 4-star RB, New Orleans
- Branard Wright, 4-star DT, Dallas
- Courtland Ford, 4-star OL, Cedar Hill, Texas
- Cam’Ron Jackson, 4-star DL, Haynesville, La.
- Dustin Dyson, 4-star TE/DE, Hammond, La.
- TJ Finley, 3-star QB, Ponchatoula, La. (LSU commit)
- Omari Thomas, 4-star OT/DT, Memphis, Tenn.
- Kimani Vidal, RB, Marietta, Ga.
Notes: An elite crew of underclassmen with offers will compete in front of the staff, most notably in the backfield with Evans and Clayton, the nation’s top 2020 tailback and Louisiana’s top tailback. Jackson will work out for Dennis Johnson for the first time since landing an offer in April. Dyson earned his offer prior to his freshman year and will work out at both tight end and defensive end.
2020 prospects without offers
- Joel Williams, 3-star ATH, Baton Rouge, La.
- Ken Seals, 4-star QB, Weatherford, Texas
- Jahki Douglas, 4-star WR, Terrebonne, La.
- Kayshon Boutte, 4-star ATH, New Iberia, La.
- Reginald Johnson, 4-star WR, Baton Rouge, La.
- Trenton Grow, 4-star WR, Edgard, La.
- Sedrick Van Pran, 4-star OL, New Orleans
- Jaquelin Roy, 4-star DT, Baton Rouge, La.
- Kenean Caldwell, 3-star DT, Oak Grove, La.
- Evan Craighead, 3-star ATH, Madison, Ala.
- Kyle Edwards, 3-star RB, Destrehan, La.
- Daran Branch, 3-star DB, Amite, La.
- Makholven Sonn, 3-star ATH, New Iberia, La.
- Major Burns, DB, Baton Rouge, La.
Notes: Expect some traction in this group, with several in-state prospects walking away with offers. Williams, Douglas, Boutte, Van Pran and Roy are top candidates to earn offers. Williams has impressed Corey Raymond at prospect camps over the past month, while Douglas — who recently garnered an offer from Alabama — clocked a 4.3 40 in front of Ed Orgeron during last week’s camp at Southern. Van Pran and Roy have been turning in notable performances at camps all over the Southeast, so expect James Cregg and Johnson to keep a close eye on both of the 2020 linemen.
2021 prospects with offers
- Donovan Jackson, 4-star OT, Bellaire, Texas
2021 prospects without offers
- Eric Barnes, DB, New Orleans
- Theodore Knox, WR, Baton Rouge, La.
- Kaine Williams, DB, Marrero, La.
- Quincy Brown, WR, Destrehan, La.
- Shazz Preston, WR, St. James, La.
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily Eye on the Tigers recruiting notebook right here.