What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said Thursday to preview Mississippi State
BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team (2-0) begins its SEC schedule Saturday in Starkville, Miss. against the Mississippi State Bulldogs (2-0).
Before the Tigers take off for Starkville, LSU coach Ed Orgeron spoke to the media Thursday to address any lingering questions in advance of the game. SEC Country was in attendance and typed out all of Orgeron’s comments, including discussions about injuries, which players will travel and which players may break into the starting lineup.
Orgeron’s quotes are typed below.
What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said Thursday:
- We just finished no-repeat Thursday. We had a competition to see who was going to kick field goals. Jack Gonsoulin won. He’ll be the first guy to go out and kick field goals.
- We practiced inside today. Emphasis on third down and red zone. I thought our guys did an excellent job of preparing. We’re going to try to do the things we did last year. Everybody who travels is going to have a purpose.
- Haven’t made that decision yet [about if Culp will travel].
- Rashard Lawrence is not ready yet. He hasn’t practiced all week. He won’t play.
- Darrel Williams will be ready to play.
- Ed Ingram has been doing a little better than Saahdiq, so he’ll start. But we like Saahdiq so he’ll play. Ed is a little more athletic. Saahdiq is a powerful guy. Things are a little more natural to Ed.
- We’re not there. I don’t think you’re going to see [four wide receiver sets] this year.
- Kristian Fulton and Caleb Roddy will not travel. They are not available right now. [Also no for Frank Herron and Donovaughn Campbell.]
- We’re very confident that both Glen Logan and Neil Farrell can do the job.
- We had a little competition at the end with the whole team screaming. Jack did a heckuva job this week on Tuesday and Thursday. I hope Jack can get it done. I have confidence that he had a good week, but he’s going to have to show me. Cam Gamble will still kick off.
- I don’t think the atmosphere is going to cause anything. I think [the freshmen’s] physical ability can match up against everybody. But we’ll see how we match up. Those are some big, strong guys.
- We wanted to stay in Columbus but the hotel was getting renovated. That’s just the way it is.