BATON ROUGE, La. — The LSU football team concluded its first week of practice with its first scrimmage of the 2017 preseason on Saturday afternoon.
Following the scrimmage, Tigers coach Ed Orgeron met with the media to discuss what happened. SEC Country provided live updates from the press conference.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- Guys treated it as a preseason game. It was a battle. The first offense scored twice against the first defense. I thought they did very well. Guys were playing very well, very fast.
- Danny Etling: 5 of 11, 86 yards, 2 TDs
- JaCoby Stevens had 2 catches; a slew of players had 1. Russell Gage had a “nice 28-yard touchdown catch.”
- Frank Herron lost his starting job in the spring but has come back strong.
- K’Lavon Chaisson has been dominant. He’s the type of player we thought he would be.
- The guys I am very impressed with are the freshman offensive line. Ed Ingram, Saahdiq Charles. I already look at Austin Deculus as a veteran even though he’s only been here since spring.
- KJ Malone, Will Clapp and Toby Weathersby have been in and out of the lineup so the freshmen are stepping up.
- Right now we want the most experienced player at center (Clapp) but we have considered Cushenberry at center and Clapp at guard.
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire had a dominant day his first day in pads three days ago. Three runs over 60 yards. His vision, his physicality. An overall outstanding player.
- Myles Brennan has made some tremendous throws. He’s been working second team reps. So have McMillan and Narcisse.
- JaCoby always has the option to go back to safety if he doesn’t feel comfortable at wide receiver.
- Arden Key is able to do walk-through stuff. He does drills with me. Don’t know when he’ll do contact.
- I wish things would have turned out different with Maea Teuhema. We tried everything we could to keep him here.