BATON ROUGE, La. — With over a week and a half of practice and one spring scrimmage behind them, Ed Orgeron and the LSU football team look onward.
LSU held its fifth practice of the spring Tuesday, after which Orgeron held a media session. Perhaps most notably, Orgeron is expected to discuss running back Derrius Guice’s absence from Tuesday’s practice, as well as where cornerback Andraez Williams and defensive end Sci Martin were. Additionally, Orgeron will highlight some of the better moments from last Saturday’s scrimmage and provide updates on some of LSU football’s more heated position battles.
Orgeron is expected to speak around 6:05 p.m. CT. SEC Country is live on the scene and will be updating this blog with quotes as they come out of Orgeron’s mouth. Be sure to update the page while the presser is live.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- First of all, I’d like to congratulate Will Wade and welcome him to the family. This is one of the greatest places in the country to coach and I’m sure he’s going to enjoy it.
- Our offense continues to make improvements under Matt Canada. We’re making improvements under Matt Canada. On Saturday, our offense ran the ball really well. It had the upper hand. Today the defense bounced back really well.
- Some guys who are doing well: Lloyd Cushenberry, Maea Teuhema, Austin Deculus is going to be a good football player for us. Danny Etling continues to do a good job, Lowell Narcisse is continuing to get better. He’s throwing the ball really well. All four quarterbacks are throwing well.
- I think the guy who’s having one of the most improved springs is [Darrel] Williams. He’s lost some weight. He had a good scrimmage today and another good scrimmage Saturday.
- On defense, a guy who’s done really well is Andre Anthony. Devin White is making a bunch of progress at middle linebacker. Donnie Alexander is being a leader for us. Donte Jackson, Kevin Tolliver and Saivion Smith looking good. I’m really pleased with the progress of Justin Thomas. We think that he’s going to be a good football player. Frank Herron is having a good spring. Corey Thompson, Ray Thornton, those guys are doing well.
- I love my coaching staff. I love coming to work every day and seeing them. The best thing I feel good about seeing them is we went out and got some of the best coaches to coach the Tigers. I know we went out and gave our players some of the best mentors we possibly can.
- [Thornton] will sometimes play F-linebacker and sometimes play B. Those are interchangeable.
- Sci got injured on Saturday. We haven’t gotten the results yet.
- Derrius: He’s got a little swollen ankle from the scrimmage. Nothing serious.
- Christian was going out. Myself, Pete Jenkins and Dave Aranda went to his home to recruit him. I think the day before we went there he was going to the NFL. But one of the things we discussed in the home was we wanted him to wear 18. It wasn’t only a recruiting tool. He deserved it. We thought about sharing it, but we don’t plan on doing that.
- Jamal Pettigrew has had some ankle problems. We’re still waiting to get some X-rays on him. Greedy Williams should be back in a couple of days.
- I think Matt Canada ran 16 shovel passes versus Clemson in that game. It’s no secret that he runs it. Obviously it is a play that we’ll run.
- Your premier rusher, you don’t want him dropping curl flats most of the time. You want him rushing. The F-Linebacker is like a 3-4 linebacker. He’s got to drop. He’s got to go man-to-man on the tight end sometimes. While the B is more of a rush guy.
That’s all. Thanks for following along.