BATON ROUGE, La. — LSU football’s spring practice session is here.
The Tigers opened up their 2018 spring practice schedule on Sunday, working in helmets in the indoor practice facility. After the practice, LSU football coach Ed Orgeron spoke to the media, breaking down what he saw Sunday and what he expects from his team over the next two months of spring ball. This included conversation about injuries, quarterbacks, position battles and more.
SEC Country was on hand Sunday to type Orgeron’s words as he said them. Follow the article below for an abridged transcript of what Orgeron said:
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- What a tremendous day. The guys were here early for a meeting. I was proud of our football team. Everyone was here 10 minutes early. The preparation of our coaches going into this first practice was phenomenal. The execution was ahead of where it usually is Day 1. Run game looked solid. Our quarterbacks were moving around making plays with their feet.
- One of the guys who really showed up today was Damien Lewis at left guard. Couldn’t beat him in the pass rush. Adrian Magee started at right tackle. A guy who came along pretty good was Donavaughn Campbell. I was really pleased to see the offensive line play like it did.
- Myles took first-team snaps and looked pretty good. Lowell Narcisse looked the best he’s been. It’s going to be an exciting battle to see those guys compete.
- It’s kind of funny. If you go the first day, you’ve got some new players. It doesn’t take long to figure them out. Tae Provens made a few plays and had a great day.
- The speed off the edge was tremendous from K’Lavon Chaisson and Ray Thornton and Travez Moore.
- A player who showed up was Micah Baskerville. Shot the gap and made some plays.
- We had some deep balls thrown on us, so I’m going to have to check on it. Jontre Kirklin was playing at left corner.
- We practiced on punt team. It was good to see coach McMahon out there.
- On quarterbacks: You could tell today was a high pressure situation for all of them. Obviously the scrimmage is going to tell. We’re going to scrimmage as much as we can this spring because we have two full lines. No quarterbacks will get hit this spring.
- No update on Kristian Fulton. Still the same.
- We’re going to give [the JUCO offensive linemen] a chance to compete. Saahdiq is out right now. Saahdiq is going to start at left tackle. But if one of those guys beats him out, they’re going to start. Badara Traore has gotten better since his first day here. He can bend. His conditioning level is better.
- On running backs: I think we’re going to have a plan to do what they can do, but it’s going to force us to throw the football and be more creative on offense. Until we find a feature back, the offense will not be featured by a running back. We can throw the ball, and I think we’re going to throw it a lot better.
- Today all three of the quarterbacks did some really good things. I thought Justin had a really nice day, so did Lowell. They’re all competing. There’s no first-team quarterback right now so they all have hope.
- Steve’s a tight ends coach. He did a great job of throwing the ball to the tight ends last year. There’s going to be some misdirection where we get the ball in some playmakers’ hands.
- Garrett’s our starter right now. But we’re going to have to find a place where Damien Lewis can play. From what I saw today, he was one of the best players on the field today. Lloyd is our center right now. Cole Smith is the second team. He showed exactly what we saw on film.
- Terrace Marshall looked good today. He’s about 75, 80 percent. We’re not going to put him in full contact until he’s ready. I think Jerry felt he had a good today. He’ll probably be full contact by the end of the spring.
- The battle is going to be between Tyler Taylor and Jacob Phillips. Patrick Queen is right behind Devin White and so is Micah Baskerville. We have a plan there, but I’m pleased to see that we have five middle linebackers on scholarship that can play.
- Tyler Shelvin is still a little heavy, but he’s making plays. Ed Alexander is not practicing right now. He might practice more toward the end of the spring. Glen Logan is extremely quick. He’s playing nose tackle right now but he’ll probably be playing end.
- I envision [a graduate transfer cornerback] playing and giving him a chance to start. And obviously we have Kelvin Joseph coming in and we’re going to give him a chance to start also.
- Bill Busch adds knowledge. Now that he’s coaching the safeties that’ll give Corey time to coach the corners. Corey was coaching five positions before. You can’t do it.
- Andre Anthony is practicing right now. He’s rotating with the 2s. And when Ed Paris comes back, we’ll give him a chance to play. He’s not practicing right now.
- The energy they brought today, we’re going to have a good football team. I’m excited about that.
- We have a leadership council. Last year, I kind of let them wear what they wanted at practice. This year we have a standard for what they wear at practice. Six guys wanted to wear purple tights, six guys wanted to wear white. I made the executive decision to let them wear either. Devin White is in that meeting, Breiden Fehoko, Rashard Lawrence, Justin McMillan, Greedy Williams, Garrett Brumfield, John Battle, Nick Brossette, Jonathan Giles, Foster Moreau. Maybe a couple guys added here and there.
- Here’s what happened: I wanted to practice yesterday. But there’s a window, a certain amount of days you can practice in. So I learned this was Daylight Savings Time. I’m old fashioned. I’ve got a clock next to my bed. But their iPhones automatically turn over. I was nervous about that.
- Nothing has changed right now since last year. We’re going to let the guys kick. The real competition is in fall camp when we get our kicker in.