BATON ROUGE, La. — Ed Orgeron and the LSU football team found their man.
LSU announced this morning that it will be hiring Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Matt Canada to hold the same position at LSU.
Canada is set to speak with the media at 1:30 CT as an introduction to LSU. SEC Country is on hand and will update this live blog with quotes as they come. Be sure to stay in this article and refresh the page for updates as they come.
First, LSU football coach Ed Orgeron spoke, followed by Canada.
What LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said:
- What a great day for LSU football. It’s been a tremendous process of going out and being able to recruit the best offensive coordinators in the country. We got him in Matt Canada. He’s put up tremendous numbers everywhere he’s been. He’s a great team guy. The players love him. He’s great on gameday. He’s a great caller. It makes it tough on defensive coordinators that I’ve called. He’s a very creative mind. He’s very hard to go against.
- One of the things that I really liked when we did our interview is he will fit in with our staff. He didn’t talk about the lofty numbers that he put up. But I know he’s had success in a lot of different systems. He knows how to coach quarterbacks in different systems.
- We’re very fortunate to have two of the top coordinators in the country at LSU. We’re looking forward to having him at LSU after the bowl game.
What LSU football offensive coordinator Matt Canada said:
- When you talk about big days in your life, to come up here and be in a place where there’s nothing but excellence, I’m humbled. I was blown away that I was extended an offer. I’m humbled and excited to be here. I’m just a ball coach. I love coaching ball.
- To come to a place with all the pieces in place, I’m humbled. We’ve moved a lot and done a lot. But we’re going to do a great job of winning games. If we win 10-7, we want to win. If we need to score more than that, we’ll find a way to score more than that. I think the best thing that we have done is be able to maximize our strength and minimize our weaknesses.
- I don’t think our scheme is anything super creative. We’re going to use our players to find a way to win. Stats are silly. Stats are a fun thing to talk about. But we’re going to use our players to find a way to win.
- I have [looked at the personnel]. I’m aware of some of those guys certainly through recruiting. To start talking about them though would be a little unfair. But there’s great players here. I do believe we will find a way to optimize our talents at quarterback. We’ve had running quarterbacks, we’ve had pocket quarterbacks. I think we find what our guys do well and I have great faith that we’re going to do that with our guys in place.
- I hope I have a major impact [in recruiting]. I hope to get on the phone with the young men who are committed to us, who are considering us. What we want to do is score points. I believe the best way to do it in recruiting is to tell them the way it is. [Me and Coach O] are both very direct.
- We can all draw plays. Everyone in America can call the right play. Plays are overrated. Players win games, not plays. We’re going to find the best player that we can who’s a winner, who’s a student of the game. We’re all blessed with different talents. We’re going to find the best players we can get who fit Coach O’s philosophy and we will find a way to score points with those players.
- I do believe that as life goes on, things work out the way they’re supposed to. I’m very, very humbled to be here. I believe this is the way things were supposed to work out. But obviously there was a reason.
- I think we’re proud of that. I went to Northern Illinois and we won a championship in the first year. I’ve only chose to take two jobs. We went on to Wisconsin and we won the Big 10 and we had success in our first year at Pitt. But it’s about players. It’s not about plays. We find a way to teach it in a way that our players can learn it. We don’t get any points from saying ‘Two years from now, you’re going to understand this offense.’ We want to win right now. My job is to score enough points to win games. We believe that, we’ve done that and we’re proud of that.
- The appeal for me is that this is LSU. This is the greatest program in the country.
- I believe our players will be excited about our system. I think our players will see the production that we’ve had. You talk about the running backs that have had production in our system. James Conner, Melvin Gordon, Montee Ball, James White. Hopefully what you say when it’s done is they maximized their talent and they scored points.
- When I was at Indiana, I went out and met with [Chip] Kelly at Oregon and that was very much an influence. When we were at [Indiana] we threw the ball a lot. When we were at Northern Illinois, we ran that ball. That was certainly a spread offense. We do have some spread components. We were doing a lot of things, trying to find ways to score points. I don’t like to pigeonhole us. What are the Saints? They’re a pro team, what are they? If we have a multitude of tight ends, you’re going to see them. If we have a lot of wide receivers, they’re going to play. But we do have the plays off the plays and the answers in our system to have answers.
- I’m proud that we find a way to maximize our talents. I’m proud that we had a walk-on fullback score nine or 10 touchdowns this year. All we’re trying to do when we play is find a matchup for us to take advantage of on defense.
- I think what we’re going to do is win football games. Stats, where you rank, I know that’s something that we all do in fantasy football. Really, if your total offense is something, what does that mean? It might mean your special teams weren’t getting the ball in the right spot. The biggest stat I look at is scoring points. But we’re not going to be silly and get the score up to get it up. We’ve got a great defense and great talent. We just want to win. And that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to win.
- This is obviously the top league. This is football. All those guys are people we look at and study and try to be as much like them as we can. I don’t have any specifics on any coach that. We’ve crossed paths. But no specifics.
- I’m 1-0 at Alabama. In Northern Illinois we beat Alabama in 2003. Obviously, I’ve been in a bunch of different places. But this is the top. I’m excited about it. I’m proud of where I’ve been. There’s a lot of guys out there that I’ve competed against at different places. But it’s still about blocking and tackling. I certainly understand the level of play I’m getting into. It’s the top.
- That’s a really good perk, taking a job and having a guy like [Derrius Guice]. I think he’s going to be excited with what we do and the way that we’re going to progress our offense. The talent in this program is awesome.
- I would say if you look at my first year at NC State, we didn’t really have a productive system. But I think when you look at us we are proud of that. If you watched us, you’d never think we’d have a quarterback that would have 1,000 yards rushing or who would lead the league in pass efficiency. I think we’re proud of that. We believe you’ve got to run the football. So that’s a big deal. But how you run it has a lot to do with your players. We’re going to do everything we can do to give ourself an advantage to be offensive.
- Whatever Coach O tells me to do, I’m going to do. But I do believe if you have too many things going on, it’s hard to have success. Too many cooks in the kitchen, it’s hard. So that conversation was a very big deal for me. Obviously I wanted to know that his philosophy of running the ball, of all those things that he’s instilled in his players, I’m going to do that.
- We’re a huddle team. We believe in huddling. But again, I believe it comes down to the game, to the situation. We will change the tempo at times. We’re not going to pigeonhole ourselves. There is merit to going fast. But we want to win. You can go very, very fast and score a lot of points, but then your defense is out there a lot. We just want to win.
- This is a premier program in the nation. I was able to take a tour yesterday and see our facilities, to go into the stadium. That was an unbelievable moment. I’m excited to be here. We plan on being here for a long, long time.