LSU guard Antonio Blakeney has already announced he will return to school for his sophomore season, but the NBA might not be convinced.
Blakeney’s name was on the NBA’s list — released Tuesday — of 162 players who had submitted their names as early candidates for the 2016 NBA Draft, as reported by The New Orleans Advocate’s Sheldon Mickles.
The deadline to apply for the draft was Sunday; Blakeney announced his return on April 19.
“Nothing has changed from Antonio Blakeney’s release last week to withdraw from the draft,” LSU coach Johnny Jones said in a statement Tuesday. “This is just a case of the formality of the paperwork not reaching the NBA office prior to the preparation of the list.”
(UPDATE: LSU confirmed Wednesday that paperwork has been submitted to the NBA.)
An NBA spokesman told The Advocate it was impossible Tuesday night to discover how Blakeney’s name ended up among the early draft candidates if he did not intend to enter.
Blakeney said he would test the waters of an early entry into the NBA Draft in early April, but did not hire an agent, allowing him to keep his eligibility. The former five-star recruit averaged 12.6 points and 3.4 assists per game as a freshman last season.