BATON ROUGE, La. — On LSU’s final home game of the season, the 16th-ranked Tigers came up short in the waning seconds.
Interim coach Ed Orgeron suffered his second loss with a 16-10 loss to No. 23 Florida, a game that originally was scheduled for Oct. 8 in Gainesville, Fla.
More important to note: The Tigers trailed by a touchdown at the start of the fourth quarter and by 3 points with 4:37 to play. LSU fumbled the ensuing kickoff and came up short on fourth-and-goal rush attempt in the final seconds.
The team never led in the second half.
Here’s what Orgeron said after the LSU loss and the final home game for several seniors and, perhaps, Leonard Fournette:
- Our guys fought ’till the very end. We shot ourselves in the foot. Lot of opportunities in the red zone we didn’t convert into points. Our guys fought the whole way. It was the worst we played in our new season.
- ON THE FINAL SERIES: It came down to execution. We didn’t execute.
- ON FOURNETTE: He told me he wanted to play. He wasn’t full speed.
Florida is a good team, we just didn’t make as many plays as we needed to. We could’ve put them away with the defense that we have. We didn’t put them away. We knew they’re explosive, that at any point or time they can be explosive on offense, and it happened.
ON BECKWITH: You can tell it’s a difference. Obviously, we missed them.
ON SHORT WEEK: We got to meet tomorrow and go. We promised we’d take this new season one game at game. We’ll get after it tomorrow.
ON SENIOR DAY LOSS: We didn’t execute right and they got it taken away from it.
ON EXECUTION: The back went the wrong way. We had a short toss called and he went the wrong way. It wasn’t executed right.
ON 98-YARD TD: He got beat one-on-one.
- ON RUN D: We emphasized tackling all week. Missing Kendell in there hurt a bit. It was uncharacteristic. It’s something we had to fix.
- ON THE LOSS: We didn’t execute. We had a good week of practice. We played a good football game today.
- ON PREGAME SKIRMISH: He didn’t say that to me (Fournette). He just told me he wanted to play …. We don’t need that. That’s not the way the game is won.
- ON MISSED FG: I just saw it was messed up.
- ON D-LINE: They were driving the ball in the middle. They got a good offensive line, the backs run really hard, but before I say anything I want to see the film.
- ON WEEK OF PREPARATION: Great week of practice. I didn’t … I thought we were ready to go.
- ON SUGAR BOWL CHANCE: Nothing was mentioned in our room. It was about Game 6.
- ON EMOTION: Emotion is good if you use it in the right way. I think we need to find a way to handle success. We knew this was going to be a tough rope. We needed to play better today.
- ON SHORT WEEK: It is what it is, and we’re going to get after it.
- ON SPECIAL TEAMS: We didn’t play well very on special teams. Having two turnovers there is unacceptable. We have athletes and we should be better there.
- ON FINAL SERIES: You can second guess that. I let those guys manage. We’ll talk about it. We thought we could get it. Maybe we should have spread them out. We thought we could run it in.
- ON 4 LOSSES: We’re 4-2. We got Texas A&M and we promised ourselves we’ll finish strong.