BATON ROUGE, La. — Winning is becoming contagious under Ed Orgeron.
No. 25 LSU ripped off its third consecutive victory under the interim head coach. This time, it was arguably the most impressive one against No. 23 Ole Miss in Tiger Stadium.
LSU’s new-look offense accounted for multiple explosive plays, largely a credit to the return of Leonard Fournette. The team also put forth a valiant effort on the defensive side of the ball, blanking the visiting Rebels over the final two quarters.
Here’s what Orgeron said after the Tigers’ 38-21 win:
- Opening statement: What a tremendous win for our football team. We did not prepare well against Southern Miss. The young men did everything we asked them to do this week and it showed in the game. Tremendous effort by the football team. We had to battle and we came out in the first quarter, had mistakes. We played hard on defense, caused some turnovers and came close to putting the game out of hand. It was great to have Leonard back. I think he’s the best player in America. We knew we’d have to play this team for 60 minutes. We’re 3-0. We have a bye. We have a very good football team coming in.
- On second half: It’s us being fresh, cutting down on practices and talking about finishing faster, and we have good players.
- On the atmosphere: It was for the players. It started with the Tiger Walk. We knew we’d start fast. It was a great atmosphere in here.There was a definite home-field advantage, and we used that tonight.
- On Fournette: We wanted to be physical. We wanted to out physical our opponent, plus it looked good.
- On offense: Confidence. Hit the home run and run the football in the game. We wanted to put him and Guice in the game.
- On Fournette’s record: You can never tell, but Monday he looked awfully good when we came back. And our offensive line must have blocked very well.
- On second half: Dave Aranda is pretty sharp. He makes adjustments when he comes off the sidelines. He may play off, he may play press. A lot of times tonight they tried to change the play at line of scrimmage, and he’d change.
- On Riley, Beckwith: I love the way they play sideline to sideline .. Those guys played phenomenal.
- On Ole Miss: Absolute zero. This was for the team. We’re 3-0. Whatever happened there was a long time ago and I love being a Tiger.
- On J.D. Moore: He’s a tough cat, but I don’t know what happened.
- On defensive adjustments: You have to be very good and have the experience that he’s a cool cucumber out there, like a mad scientist. The preparation he does during the week to do that .. he does a tremendous job in preparation.
- On Alabama: We’re going to enjoy the win. We’re going to do self-scout on Monday, then Monday afternoon start working on Alabama.
- On schedule: Well, after you watch the tape you might not be as excited … We’re going to very excited to play a very good football team. We’re up for the challenge. They’ve very well-coached, but so are we.