BATON ROUGE, La. — If LSU’s basketball season goes anything like its exhibition game did Monday night, Johnny Jones will be a happy man.
Behind a 26-point, 13-rebound double-double from junior college transfer Duop Reath, Jones’s Tigers routed their NAIA foes, the Reinhardt Eagles, by a score of 113-80.
The offense looked strong, connecting on 59 percent of their shots from the field, but the defense was slightly underwhelming, allowing the Eagles to make 13 3-pointers.
After the game, LSU coach Johnny Jones had some things to say about his team’s performance. SEC Country was on hand. The following is a transcript of some of Jones’s quotes about his Tigers.
- Glad to have an opportunity to get back out on the floor and have an exhibition game here at home. I thought our guys came out and established themselves early. We were making sure we were getting paint touches, felt like we had a size advantage. We shot a very high percentage. I thought the guys did a great job of sharing the ball.
- I thought Epps played with high energy, getting about 10 rebounds at the half. But [Reinhardt] did a great job of shooting the long ball.
- Unfortunately we had too many turnovers in the second half. 21 turnovers, hopefully we can get that down to about 10 per game, especially with the pace we play at. We have to do a much better job on the defensive end of the floor. 80 is a big number and giving up 30 free throws is a big number for us.
- I thought [Reinhardt] made some big shots. We knew who their 3-point shooters were. We were not aggressive enough. We allowed them to get in rhythm in the first half. Knowing who their shooters are we have to do a better job of closing out high hand.
- I think people had an opportunity to see tonight what we’ve talked about: [Duop Reath’s] energy. He was in the back there to protect the rim. Ran a couple of plays down and got blocks. Did a good job of rebounding. And he was able to score with the opportunities presented to him.
- I thought Skylar did an excellent job of running the point for us. You take a freshman and put him out in front of a crowd for the first time. I thought he did a great job of handling himself. I thought if that was any question mark, keeping pace is an area where he’ll continue to improve.
- They end up getting 13 3-pointers for the game. 8 in the first half. They made some tough ones. At the same time, we have to understand who their shooters are.
- Their guards were quick. They did a good job of kicking it back and making plays. If they got a look, they did a good job of knocking them down. When the score got where it was, we felt like we had a cushion there. We probably weren’t playing at the level to take that away from them.
- Jalyn for sure. I think Elbert will be ready for us. We weren’t supposed to play Bridgewater tonight. I think we’re hopeful that everything is OK with him. I wanted to give him a little more time to recover from injuries.
- I thought when Skylar got in foul trouble [Antonio] did a god job of stepping up and making passes from the point.
- I thought Wayde had good balance out there on both ends of the court. He’s a guy that certainly can play on both sides and bounce off the dribble. He played in the lane and was able to stretch the defense and knock down a 3-pointer for us.